Distanced Camera

Nov 14, 2006 at 4:10pm

Distanced Camera

hallo,

i need a cheap video camera compatible with jitter on mac os x that can be placed in a room separate from the computer. the cable length would be around 20m, so USB and firewire are not possible without expensive repeaters etc. as i understand, there are two options: wireless, so i’d have the receiver in the other room (the actually the “direct” distance between camera + receiver would be really small, like a few meters, but there is a massive wall between them); i saw some models but none of them had a receiver that would output the video signal as USB or firewire. the other option i guess is an IP network camera over ethernet, some models are really cheap like 100 EUR. but then how do i receive the images in jitter? as far as i understand, the pictures are streamed via HTTP (?) as MPEG-4 or similar streams. is there any model that’s mac compatible and whose images i can get into jitter? i don’t need fast frame rates, i guess a few frames per second are sufficient.

thanks for hints. ciao, -sciss-

#28693
Nov 14, 2006 at 4:23pm

>hallo,
>
>i need a cheap video camera compatible with jitter on mac os x that
>can be placed in a room separate from the computer. the cable length
>would be around 20m, so USB and firewire are not possible without
>expensive repeaters etc.

I did use unibrains with 3 FW cables of 10 meters (9.60 to be more
precise) and powered FW hubs, serving as repeaters (if not powered
they are just hubs)

had no problems…

best

kasper

Kasper T. Toeplitz
noise, composition, bass, computer

http://www.sleazeArt.com

#88414
Nov 14, 2006 at 4:30pm

You could alternatively use an analog camera, and BNC cable/SVideo
whatever, to run for very long distances with out the need for a
distribution amplifier, and use a hardware video capture (A/D
converter), that is QT compatible. Something like the DFG-1394 from
the imaging source (I really need to get one of those..).

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info

On Nov 14, 2006, at 11:23 AM, Kasper T Toeplitz wrote:

>> hallo,
>>
>> i need a cheap video camera compatible with jitter on mac os x
>> that can be placed in a room separate from the computer. the cable
>> length would be around 20m, so USB and firewire are not possible
>> without expensive repeaters etc.
>
>
> I did use unibrains with 3 FW cables of 10 meters (9.60 to be more
> precise) and powered FW hubs, serving as repeaters (if not powered
> they are just hubs)
>
> had no problems…
>
> best
>
> kasper
> —
> Kasper T. Toeplitz
> noise, composition, bass, computer
> http://www.sleazeArt.com
>
>

#88415
Nov 14, 2006 at 4:35pm

Quote: vade wrote on Tue, 14 November 2006 17:30
—————————————————-
> You could alternatively use an analog camera, and BNC cable/SVideo
> whatever, to run for very long distances with out the need for a
> distribution amplifier, and use a hardware video capture (A/D
> converter), that is QT compatible. Something like the DFG-1394 from
> the imaging source (I really need to get one of those..).

Yeah, we use a long (20m) bnc + audio cable that goes into an ADVC-100 (http://dv411.com/advc100.html)

Mattijs

#88416
Nov 14, 2006 at 4:39pm

You could run a composite cable then convert using this http://
http://www.theimagingsource.com/en/products/converters/dfg13941e/
overview/ I’ve not used it myself but I was asking how to convert
composite to firewire and this is what was recomended. I’ve ran video
down a composite cable over a far longer distance than 20m so it
should work fine.

JK

On 14 Nov 2006, at 16:10, Sciss wrote:

>
> hallo,
>
> i need a cheap video camera compatible with jitter on mac os x that
> can be placed in a room separate from the computer. the cable
> length would be around 20m, so USB and firewire are not possible
> without expensive repeaters etc. as i understand, there are two
> options: wireless, so i’d have the receiver in the other room (the
> actually the “direct” distance between camera + receiver would be
> really small, like a few meters, but there is a massive wall
> between them); i saw some models but none of them had a receiver
> that would output the video signal as USB or firewire. the other
> option i guess is an IP network camera over ethernet, some models
> are really cheap like 100 EUR. but then how do i receive the images
> in jitter? as far as i understand, the pictures are streamed via
> HTTP (?) as MPEG-4 or similar streams. is there any model that’s
> mac compatible and whose images i can get into jitter? i don’t need
> fast frame rates, i guess a few frames per second are sufficient.
>
> thanks for hints. ciao, -sciss-
>
> –
> Virus scanned by Lumison.

Jack Keenan
360tv Coordinator
Peacock Visual Arts
21 Castle Street
Aberdeen
AB11 5BQ

Tel: 01224 639539
Fax: 01224 627094

http://www.360tv.org.uk
http://www.superchannel.org
http://www.peacockvisualarts.com

#88417
Nov 14, 2006 at 6:30pm

On 14 nov. 06, at 17:35, Mattijs Kneppers wrote:

> Yeah, we use a long (20m) bnc + audio cable that goes into an
> ADVC-100 (http://dv411.com/advc100.html)

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a chance to compare
performances between ADVC-100 and DFG-1394?

ej

#88418
Nov 14, 2006 at 6:50pm

Well, the DFG is an uncompressed FW input, and uses more bandwidth,
and the ADC100/110 is a DV converter, so you are getting compression,
compression artifacts and color loss due to the very poor DV
colorspace. DV also introduces a frame lag, on OS X 10.4, I believe
it is down to 4 frames, on 10.3, 7 frames. DFG has .. I believe, 0 to
1 frames of lag.

DFG wins hands down

FINISH HIM!!!

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info

On Nov 14, 2006, at 1:30 PM, Emmanuel Jourdan wrote:

> On 14 nov. 06, at 17:35, Mattijs Kneppers wrote:
>
>> Yeah, we use a long (20m) bnc + audio cable that goes into an
>> ADVC-100 (http://dv411.com/advc100.html)
>
> Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a chance to compare
> performances between ADVC-100 and DFG-1394?
>
> ej
>
>

#88419
Nov 14, 2006 at 6:58pm

On 14 nov. 06, at 19:50, vade wrote:

> Well, the DFG is an uncompressed FW input, and uses more bandwidth,
> and the ADC100/110 is a DV converter, so you are getting
> compression, compression artifacts and color loss due to the very
> poor DV colorspace. DV also introduces a frame lag, on OS X 10.4, I
> believe it is down to 4 frames, on 10.3, 7 frames. DFG has .. I
> believe, 0 to 1 frames of lag.
>
> DFG wins hands down

Vade,

Thanks for confirming.

ej

#88420
Nov 17, 2006 at 2:39pm

I use my miniDv camera as a analog-digital converter. Don’t know if all digital cameras have this feature (I must assume they do because most cams allow for composit video input) but I use it to connect an analog camera to my computer. I use it among other things for motion tracking. It solves both the cable length problem and the speed/latency problem. Works great.

#88421
Nov 17, 2006 at 2:47pm

hallo,

thanks for all your answers. i will go for the solution cheap-dv-cam with composite out –> analog cable –> cheap dv capture.

the only bad thing is some of the personnel will probably have to turn on recording on the camera every day. the cool thing about direct fw is the total control from software (e.g. apple isight would start to open the lens and so on when sending the appropriate commands from jitter. it’s a pity they don’t sell an updated ecologically compliant version of this camera b.t.w.)

sciss

#88422
Nov 17, 2006 at 4:58pm

There is an alternative to use the FireWire cable of Datavideo. They have a 20 meter version and it works fine if you have a FirewireCard which outputs enough power. You must try this.

I used three of those cables, 60 meters, with 2 of their repeaters (no external power) and it worked with only a little quality-loss.

They cost about $80,-

I used this Firewire-card to power the 60meter setup: ADS TECH Acquisitiekaart PCI 3 poorten FireWire PYRO Basic DV – compatible PC & Mac. ($30-)
An advice of Datavideo.

#88423
Nov 26, 2006 at 4:01pm

hi all,

to complete the thread, i have now bought a rather cheap CMOS surveillance camera (140 EUR) which has analog video output, another 10 EUR for a twenty meter BNC cable and a canopus ADVC-55 analog-to-firewire DV converter (200 EUR), working pretty well with jitter.

the cmos camera solves the problem of having a person needing to switch it on/off as would have occurred with a miniDV camcorder. the only bad thing now is automatic gain control, but that should be fixable in software.

thanks again for various suggestions. best, -sciss-

#88424
Dec 1, 2006 at 3:54pm

http://lindy.com/ also sell firewire cables with integrated repeater… 4.5mt each can be chained up to 40 mt.

does nobody has experience video radio trasmitters?

#88425

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.