distorting aka.speech

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:13am

distorting aka.speech

I am building a patch that uses aka.speech to take sentences typed into the computer and plays them back as a computer voice. I have been able to set this up, but I would like to go further and be able to edit the output of aka.speech, meaning adding delay/echo/distortion/all the fun audio tricks max is capable of. Does anyone know how to do this? It is my understanding that aka.speech uses the computers speech programs to output the sound, I was advised to try and use soundflower but I’m not exactly sure how. Thoughts?

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:27am

aka.speech isn’t an MSP object, so it’s not producing outlets you can pass through other MSP objects. Aka.speech simply talks directly to Apple’s speech synthesis API in the OS.

You can grab the speech synthesis output using Jack or Soundflower or some other tool for rerouting system sound output back into Max/MSP. However, you’ll have to take care not to mix your processed output with the same audio stream that the OS is using for the speech synthesis, otherwise you’ll get instant feedback (an interesting form of distortion, but I suspect not what you want).

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:54pm

Thanks. I have Soundflower, but I don’t really understand how it reroutes sound, whenever I open the audiosetup it only shows my default inputs and outputs, I have no idea how to find the Voice API on my mac or MAX. Any ideas?

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:50pm

You need to output your mac system through soundflower.
And then you take soundflower iputs into max.
And output max through your built-in output for instance.

Adrien

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:24pm

genius has been done in this thread! It is appreciated. Sorry for resurrect 0,o

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.