Distortion before dac

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:57pm

Distortion before dac

Hi. Can I get the kind of digital distortion, that happens if you “overload” the dac~, inside your patch? i.e. streaming around and used as an effect on some parts of your patch, and not on other parts?

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:01pm

Try [tanh~]; not sure if it provides the brickwall clipping you’re after tho

Brendan

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:20am

you can also just crank up a signal way past the -1. to 1. normal limits, then use it to affect other things (especially good in things like phase inlets of cycle~). If you’re going to listen to it directly, though, probably use [clip~ -1. 1.] to keep things in the regular range. But if you’ve cranked things up a lot before that, you’ll get all kinds of digital clipping, which may or may not sound like what you’re after.

[noise~] is also a good object to try, it can add “distortion-like” effects to other signals, depending on how you use it. also [filtergraph~] will have a lot of effect on distorted, rich-frequency sounds.

Jan 23, 2011 at 8:58am

yes, the simplest is: do not use tanh~ on its own for digital clipping effects as it sounds just too damn good. just use clip~ -1. 1. and overdrive the input. a combination of these ideas and what seejay said is usually best, including always a lot of filtering.

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:53pm

cool guys! thanks i’ll try it out!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.