documentation of object arguments

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:28pm

documentation of object arguments

I was looking at the discussion of Max5/Max6 helpfiles but I think this is a slightly different issue

As I’m learning about Jitter I find the helpfiles a lot less helpful than for Max: a lot of jargon (what is a slab?) but it also seems some bits are missing from the reference: especially arguments.

For example, in the tutorial you’ll find a matrix defined: [jit.matrix 4 char 320 240} but in the reference there is only a ‘messages’ and an ‘attributes’ section, no ‘arguments’
I did a quick check for some other jitter objects; they all seem to be missing the ‘argumetns’ section from the reference. Is there any reason for this?

Thanks!!

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:47pm

The four arguments you mention are common to a large number of Jitter objects. They certainly used to be explained quite early in the Tutorials, but this may have changed since I worked my way through them. And the explanation only came once, so if you missed it, you were sorta out of luck.

Briefly, the arguments are, in order: planecount, celltype, matrixwidth, matrixheight.

Hope this helps.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:16pm

Thanks Peter, that is helpful – so jitter uses attributes, not arguments for any other parameters? I mean the only arguments I need to know in the jitter world are those four?

It would be nice to have that in the documentation :-)

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:00pm

The info that you’re referring to is in Jitter Tutorial 2: Create a Matrix, as Peter mentioned. Also, although it’s frustratingly hard to find, the page on Jitter Matrix Operators, which explains messages, arguments, and attributes common to all Jitter matrix operators is important reading.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:08am

Thanks Christopher! very useful

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.