Forums > MaxMSP

Does MAX crash when patches get too big

June 15, 2012 | 6:41 pm

Can anyone clarify if there is a limit to the size of a MAX patch. I am having problems when I add large subpatches (with 300 inlets/outlets) to an already large patch. Especially when groing over 50 Mb.
Thanks


June 16, 2012 | 3:24 pm

I am just adding additional information on the problem:

System: i7-950 processor, 6 Gb RAM, wINDOWS 7 64-bit.
The problem I am having is that I reach a point when I add an additional subpatch (200-300 inlets) and MAX crahses in the following situations:
1. When changing from presentation to normal mode.
2. When turning audio ON using a dac~.

I do nto know if this is related, but this seems to occur when the additional patch is part of a ‘pattrstorage’ system (i.e., it includes an ‘autopattr’ object). The subpatch added normally has a large number of objects associated with the ‘pattrstorage’ system. They are named automatically by ‘autopattr’ (autoname flag is 1).


June 16, 2012 | 3:31 pm

And here is a ZIP with the project. There is one external that will only react if it has a P5 essential reality glove. If the glove is not connected, the patch still works (it will only post a message that there is no glove and will not react if one turns the glove capture ON – so do not turn it on – but nothing else).


June 16, 2012 | 3:41 pm

Actually, the ZIP file is >4Mb so it exceeds the allowed size. COuld nto include it.


June 18, 2012 | 10:34 am

I tried again and although receipt is ackknowledged, the ZIP file with the project files is not uploaded.


June 18, 2012 | 12:30 pm

300 inlets sounds excessive but i do not make huge patches. Is there any way to isolate the problem. Possibly change your patch so it has better structure and is more modularized.


June 18, 2012 | 3:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. In fact, I have already reduced the size of the patches (there used to be subpatches with 900-1000 connections). Everythign has been working without problems with large inlet/outlet patches (quite a few of them) until one day this issue appeared, which makes me think that I have reached MAX’s capacity. The problem did not appear with a new subpatch but with a copy of one of the subpatches already working. In fact these are very simple interface subpatches, but because of the type of application, reducing sizes would yield endless dialog boxes for the user.
Another possibility that i am investigating is that, since I have been using ‘aoutpttr’ with autoname on, copying patches has yielded objects with the same scripting names. I am now erradicating all the scripting names to see if this solves the problem.


June 20, 2012 | 3:18 pm

Hello grizzle

I followed your suggestion and made subpatches much smaller but this does not make a difference: if the size of the main patch is less than 50 Mb it works and if it is larger (e.g. by duplicating a large subpatch – not necessarily with many inlets/outlets) MAX crahses.

I have now contacted support and hope that they can come with a solution.

Thanks again

Rajmil


Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)