Does poly~ have voice steal

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:22am

Does poly~ have voice steal

Hi all

I’m learning poly~ (which is a fantastic object btw) and wanted to know if [poly~] had voice steal like it,s brother [poly] 2nd argument (1)?

I know that [mute 1, 0] to [thispoly] == freeing up of processing and the 0 is free voice alert to parent poly.

But say you have only 8 voices being triggered very fast and the last voices trigger has not received the 0. sig~ or mess. indicating say the end of the amp, is the next bang ignored ??

Logically yes, but I think not ?

Thanks a lot to all for shedding a little light.

phil

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:32am

I just did a little test having a AMP Release of 2000ms and trigger the source around 100ms. And the answer is : No poly~ does not have voice steal. it’s wait till a voice is freed up.

thanks anyways.

ps. I would like to know if I am confusing things up here.

phil

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:46am

This is a good moment to open either the help or reference for poly~ and search for the word ‘steal’.

_
johan

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:51am

DOH!!
I just realized that it that this problem is super easy to overcome. JUST ADD MORE VOICES.

How silly of me. The more I have , the more will get freed up before the last one is gets available again.

Is there a logical ratio to follow here ??

thanks

phil

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:16am

>>This is a good moment to open either the help or reference for poly~ and search for the word ‘steal’.

I had. that’s why I posted , I couldn,t anything on it anywhere.
I was following the tutorial and I did not see it anywhere.

thanks tho

phil

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:50am

Stealing will work only when using the built in voice allocation stuff, using the note and midinote messages. And then it works properly.

_
johan

Sep 21, 2009 at 2:59pm

thanks johan

It was nearly 4 am. I just saw now in the reference manual. But as they mention, undesired clicks may occur if steal in on.

So could we say as a rule of thumb that it,s better to keep it off?

Is there a work around?

thanks

phil

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:26pm
phil hughes wrote on Mon, 21 September 2009 08:32
And the answer is : No poly~ does not have voice steal. it’s wait till a voice is freed up.

phil

that always depends on how you use poly~.

it is not very clear to see, but there are two completely
different methods of voicing right in the helpfile already.

when you use “target”ing, a running poly voice would simply
be sstolen by sending (for example) a new frequency value
and restarting its envelopes and lfos to the same instance.

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:45pm

your right.

But again, my main interest in poly~ is to use it for granular type stuff @ speeds like 20 ms. using a 4 point amp env.

Simply because I find that @ high speed triggering of a sound it is many more time smoother then not having poly~.

But i was wondering If I would need less voices if voice stealing was involved?

voilà

phil

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:25pm

one way could be to calculate outside how many voices are needed. like .. 8 voices when 4 grainstreams are active or
however you patch works.
then you could just set the number of voices to poly.

but i must say, at least back on max 4, i have very bad
expierience about changing number of voices, it often does
not free up CPU when you kill voices while they are still
running and it tends to crash a lot.

something automatic which the poly patcher does on its own
seems more safe.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:45pm

thanks for all the hints roman.

Right i think the best way is to no worry about it and have a[in 2] to to control a ratio that makes the amp of each voice’s overall lenght rise as you trigger a grain faster. In other words the faster the triggering, the longer the amp lenght.

Although I do have Max 5 ,I am still on 4.6 as it works 20 times better w. my old powerbook g4. Max 5 is way , way to slow and + it crashes way to often.

I’ll wait till i get a newer computer.

>>but i must say, at least back on max 4, i have very bad
expierience about changing number of voices, it often does
not free up CPU when you kill voices while they are still
running and it tends to crash a lot.

Yes I notice that right away while doing the turorial yesterday, that in order to free up the CPU when decreasing voices, you have to turn the sig~ off and back on again!!

thanks a lot.

phil

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.