Forums > MaxMSP

doing the max/msp 30 day demo… have ?

August 12, 2007 | 1:09 pm

ok, heres the story. I want modular…. actaully, bidule I have demo’d and not purchased… its buggy. it probably wont be by version 4 but who wants to wait that long…

Ok,, I am gonna try MAX/MSP

wow. ok, I have the demo and I have installed it. If I am at a descent place in with this program in 30 days, I will buy it.

I no nothing, of computer langueage, and this program is confusing at first

how want to help me out…

First thing I would love to do. something that should be very easy…

I want to load up Virsyn Tera 3 ( a vst synth ) and get sound out of it…

I do not own a midi controller… Tera has a built in sequencer…

I know you can make your own synths and all that stuff with max… you can probably do really wild filter sweeps and everything,..

but I will take it slow. First I need basic… BASIX…

Somebody plz help me load up, a couple of VST synths, Tera 3, the linplug RMV drum machine… Help me connect them so I can begin to experience the demo, and see if this program is an option for me… Time is so obviously of the essence…

Thanks


August 12, 2007 | 2:31 pm

wow, 15 views and not one person can set up tera 3?

This does not look good. i am well aware Max can be used to build synths,and do extremely cool sound design… That is my intent… Meanwhile I would just like a headstart… to get some sounds out of a vst synth… Anybody?


August 12, 2007 | 2:43 pm

>wow, 15 views and not one person can set up tera 3?
>
>This does not look good. i am well aware Max can be used to build
>synths,and do extremely cool sound design… That is my intent…
>Meanwhile I would just like a headstart… to get some sounds out
>of a vst synth… Anybody?

look at the vst~.help patch, it’s all there

kasper


August 12, 2007 | 3:01 pm

well

I saw that, and it is wickedly confusing to me…

I’m slow, yeah. I need things explained in a descent way before i get them… I obviously need to create a dac` to get audio out…

and I need a vst object… but then what…

I mean, come on, should take about two minutes to explain if you actually know the program…

I turned on Bidule and got it instantly.. numerology a friend had to help me with… Cubase I got instantly, first time I saw Tracktion I was confused… I just have trouble believing, than anybody using max could be so much smarter than I…..

ok…

I will turn it on again. but I would really appreciate it if I could just get some help with the first steps…

A couple of synths, a little fx chaining….

I do not think I am being rediculous… N e Ways… There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers…

Perhaps I will just have to wait until the Cycling Mods read on Monday, they might be more inclined to help somebody who wants to buy the program…


August 12, 2007 | 3:26 pm

>well
>
>I saw that, and it is wickedly confusing to me…
>
>
>I’m slow, yeah. I need things explained in a descent way before i
>get them… I obviously need to create a dac` to get audio out…
>
>
>and I need a vst object… but then what…
>
>
>
>I mean, come on, should take about two minutes to explain if you
>actually know the program…
>
>
>I turned on Bidule and got it instantly.. numerology a friend had
>to help me with… Cubase I got instantly, first time I saw
>Tracktion I was confused… I just have trouble believing, than
>anybody using max could be so much smarter than I…..
>
>
> ok…
>
>
>I will turn it on again. but I would really appreciate it if I
>could just get some help with the first steps…
>
>
>A couple of synths, a little fx chaining….
>
>
>I do not think I am being rediculous… N e Ways… There are
>no stupid questions, only stupid answers…
>
>Perhaps I will just have to wait until the Cycling Mods read on
>Monday, they might be more inclined to help somebody who wants to
>buy the program…

oh come on

stupid answer:

it’s all in the help file

_there is a dac
_click on "plug" (follow the indications on the screen)
_click on "midievent 144 64 60" – you’ll hear a C note

much more on page 436 of the msp ref manual

no need to be THAT smart

best

kasper



f.e
August 12, 2007 | 3:30 pm


August 12, 2007 | 3:38 pm

>
>
>FYI, just open vst~.help, click the open message, browse for your
>vsti, turn on the dac~, et voila.
>

f.e.!!!!

please, not the "open" message, the "plug" message!!! ( hey, RTFM
it’s in there!!!! ;-))

best

k


August 12, 2007 | 3:46 pm

merci…


August 12, 2007 | 4:12 pm

Quote: Johnny2johnny wrote on Sun, 12 August 2007 15:09
—————————————————-
> Somebody plz help me load up, a couple of VST synths, Tera 3, the linplug RMV drum machine… Help me connect them so I can begin to experience the demo, and see if this program is an option for me… Time is so obviously of the essence…

Hi John,

MaxMSP is not a premade audio tool like Cubase, Logic, etc. It is more like a programming language that you use to make your own audio tool. So if you need a screen where you can load a vst plugin you’ll have to program it yourself out of the building blocks that Max provides.

It makes sense. If you want custom possibilities, there can be no standard screens like you know them from the standard tools.

Fortunately, Max is a relatively easy programming language to learn. You don’t have to know all the ins and outs to make cool stuff. Furthermore there are very good tutorials that will teach you the basics in a few days time.

Still, if you don’t feel like programming you’re probably going to be disappointed. But if you rearrange your expectations and start with doing the tutorials you’ll soon have a variety of powerful new possibilities at your command.

Cheers,
Mattijs



f.e
August 12, 2007 | 5:15 pm



f.e
August 12, 2007 | 5:19 pm


August 12, 2007 | 8:30 pm


Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)