Forums > Javascript

Download XML file from Web

January 25, 2009 | 5:24 pm

Hi,
I’m trying to basically implement a web service client of sorts in max/msp.

The idea being to send requests to various semantic web services (linked data, dbpedia, etc), then do something clever with the results.

Just getting started, and it seems really hard to search for this topic, since all the keywords are ubiquitous (url, download, webservice, xml, etc …)

I’m guessing I’d implement most of this in javascript, and I’ve installed the xmljs.sourceforge.net packages to that end.

However, I still can’t figure out how to request the xml from a remote server (or even a localhost server for that matter)

I’ve looked at jweb, but it seems to show content (which I don’t care about), but not stream the content out an output.

Can someone point me to an implementation of what I’m describing?

or just the javascript code for how you’d do this within the max environment?

thanks for your time

Don


January 30, 2009 | 1:30 am

wow, usually I get feedback pretty quick on this forum.
Is this just a really stupid question?


January 30, 2009 | 1:46 am

On Jan 29, 2009, at 5:30 PM, don undeen wrote:

>
> wow, usually I get feedback pretty quick on this forum.
> Is this just a really stupid question?

There’s just no web facility in Max’s JS implementation. You’ll need
to use jit.uldl or Java or some other way to get the file to disk, and
then read with the JS File object.

Good luck.

-Joshua


March 6, 2009 | 1:43 am

Don – any progress to speak of? I have been intrigued by a similar idea, but it seems the jweb object is really meant to display web content more than anything. But I’d love to know what you’ve done so far.


March 6, 2009 | 3:13 pm

not much progress here; I got an iphone and started playing with using that to control max, so this aspect of my project has stagnated.
I’ve been able to download the text from the webservice; I’m just trying to figure out the most efficient way to deal with that text.I was trying to avoid writing to disk, but I think my understanding of string processing in max is a bit limited, so I’ve got to tinker more with it.

If I get something working, I’ll post it here.


Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)