Forums > MaxMSP

Drawing an Arrow

December 31, 2010 | 2:48 am

I’d like to draw a line that shows up in Presentation Mode, ideally (but not required) with an arrow on the end that is pointing to something. Looks like the lcd object could work, but seems overkill. Is there a simple object that let’s you place a line in a patcher? Something like a comment box but graphical?

December 31, 2010 | 3:22 am

No arrow, but panel gets sort of thin. I’ve used it as a line to divide sections of a patch.

December 31, 2010 | 3:32 am

live.line

December 31, 2010 | 4:11 am

Thank you!! live.line does it. Also live.arrows even better for my purpose right now.

December 31, 2010 | 6:59 am

we used to do this with patch chords in Max4(hiding the connected objects like simple superfluous bangs in order just to have the patch chord draw a line anywhere/anyway we wanted).

I DO still wish that we could show patchchords in presentation. there are many applications for this, not just drawing boundary lines: scripting thispatcher connections to show differing signal connections just in the UI(in other words, behind the scenes connections could remain stagnant, but then i’d have a separate UI consisting of changing patch chords(nothing functional) to represent a changing signal flow; like Massive or Aalto).
or like if i wanted to do something graphically similar to
Max5/examples/max-tricks/buttonflower.maxpat
but have it in presentation mode for all the other UI convenience reasons.
(sure, i could do it all with LCD, but sometimes this kind of thing is just easier and quicker with thispatcher scripting when you’re trying to also integrate something in the UI which would lie outside of an LCD)

just a thought. hope Cycling will consider it(i know i’ve heard developers address this before, citing reasons regarding the purpose of presentation mode, but i’ve never thought the reasons were good and sensible, this seems like an unnecessarily closed-ended decision to not be able to include patch-chords in presentation mode…)

but only consider it as much as you’d consider any other surface/UI inconsistency(like adding ’roundness of box corner’ attributes to numberboxes to be consistent with other UI stuff like umenu or textbutton).
not that important.

Ch
December 31, 2010 | 10:20 am

patchcords within a bpatcher can be shown in presentation mode.
Might be useful sometimes (?)

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

December 31, 2010 | 4:52 pm

I think the deal with presentation mode is that you also can’t make new connections, or edit existing ones, so maybe having them show really isn’t possible at all.

Same goes (maybe?) for not being able to add patchcords in patching mode, when you’ve hidden the cords. Sometimes I’d really like to hide them all and still be able to add more, so you’d see the new ones more cleanly.

With Max 5 you can make them transparent, which is helpful. I like Hide Foreground—Select All—change cord attributes as desired. Super-quick way to hide/show or change color, etc.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)