Driving Many relays

Jan 15, 2007 at 3:22pm

Driving Many relays

Hi,

I’m looking at driving around 200 relays in an installation. Does
anybody know a digital out board with more than 8 or 16 outs with a
max object to talk to it?

Thanks

LP
__________________________
Louis-Pierre Morin [毛路薏]
e-mail – lpmorin@gmail.com
cell. – (514) 815-4889
skype – nirom4889

#29685
Jan 15, 2007 at 4:09pm

the wiring board has 43 digital in/outs

http://wiring.org.co/ioboard/index.html

you can use the serial object to talk with it.

On 1/15/07, Louis-Pierre Morin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m looking at driving around 200 relays in an installation. Does anybody
> know a digital out board with more than 8 or 16 outs with a max object to
> talk to it?
>
> Thanks
>
> LP

#93269
Jan 15, 2007 at 4:34pm

Louis-Pierre Morin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m looking at driving around 200 relays in an installation. Does
> anybody know a digital out board with more than 8 or 16 outs with a max
> object to talk to it?

Get three of these: http://botex.com/4/me72.html

They have 72 outputs each and can accept MIDI or DMX as input.

Olaf

#93270
Jan 15, 2007 at 4:43pm

Hi Louis-Pierre

Are you thinking of having enough drives from your board(s) for all
those relays? I think in this case I would multiplex them. This needs
a bit more circuitry, but I think with that many relays your will
need more drive than you get from a typical I/O board anyway. You can
then use eight address lines to access the desired relay and only 1
data line. Simple 1 bit latches are easy to implement and the de-
multiplexing is pretty straightforward too. Then you don’t need lots
of output boards. Just a thought…..

Best

L

On 15 Jan 2007, at 15:22, Louis-Pierre Morin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m looking at driving around 200 relays in an installation. Does
> anybody know a digital out board with more than 8 or 16 outs with a
> max object to talk to it?
>
> Thanks
>
> LP
> __________________________
> Louis-Pierre Morin [毛路薏]
> e-mail – lpmorin@gmail.com
> cell. – (514) 815-4889
> skype – nirom4889
>

Lawrence Casserley – lawrence@lcasserley.co.uk
Lawrence Electronic Operations – http://www.lcasserley.co.uk
Colourscape Music Festivals – http://www.colourscape.org.uk

#93271
Jan 15, 2007 at 4:48pm

Quote: lpmorin@gmail.com wrote on Mon, 15 January 2007 08:22
> anybody know a digital out board with more than 8 or 16 outs with a
> max object to talk to it?
>

The fastest, easiest hack way to do this is to buy an led-display sign and hack the lines going to the lights.

The normal way is to build a board consisting of a micro-controller (avr’s are nice; take a look at the http://www.chip45.com offers) and set up a series of multiplexers/demultiplexers depending on your task. Use [serial] to handle communication.

The “Wiring” board seems nice, and the price is alright, but I have no experience with them.

As an idea of what you will need: a matrix of 6 74374 dmux chips will require 13 inputs to control 48 outputs. The “Wiring” board has 43 outputs, so you could control at least 18 mux’s controlling a total of 144 relais.

There are commercially available led-matrix controllers and decoders which can also be used to drive relais.

In any case, [serial] is usually the max tool you will need.

#93272
Jan 15, 2007 at 7:05pm

i think Dayton suggestion of hacking a led matrix is an excellent idea.

if your going to build your own i had the pleasure of working with the
midibox, which comes in a lot of variants.
the one i used is the MIDIO128, which allows up to 128 digital outputs per
midi channel.
i used them all to build a motion sensing carpet.
http://www.ucapps.de
the forums there are full of helpful people.
the hardware is relatively cheap (you can buy an etched board and stuff it
yourself)

On 1/15/07, Dayton wrote:
>
>
> Quote: lpmorin@gmail.com wrote on Mon, 15 January 2007 08:22
> > anybody know a digital out board with more than 8 or 16 outs with a
> > max object to talk to it?
> >
>
>
> The fastest, easiest hack way to do this is to buy an led-display sign and
> hack the lines going to the lights.
>
> The normal way is to build a board consisting of a micro-controller (avr’s
> are nice; take a look at the http://www.chip45.com offers) and set up a series of
> multiplexers/demultiplexers depending on your task. Use [serial] to handle
> communication.
>
> The “Wiring” board seems nice, and the price is alright, but I have no
> experience with them.
>
> As an idea of what you will need: a matrix of 6 74374 dmux chips will
> require 13 inputs to control 48 outputs. The “Wiring” board has 43 outputs,
> so you could control at least 18 mux’s controlling a total of 144 relais.
>
> There are commercially available led-matrix controllers and decoders which
> can also be used to drive relais.
>
> In any case, [serial] is usually the max tool you will need.
>

#93273
Jan 16, 2007 at 2:02pm

The gluion has 68 I/O pins of which 66 can be configured as outputs.
So you’d need 3 of them.

Alternativaly you could connect simple serial shift registers, as the
gluion’s outputs are not simply on/off but can carry almost any
digital format. I had an installation once were we connected 16
CMOS4094 for a total of 128 outputs. So for 200 outputs you’d need
25. Your box gets a bit bigger but overall costs are probably a bit
lower.

Let me know if you need more details.

cheers,
Sukandar

On 15.01.2007, at 16:22, Louis-Pierre Morin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m looking at driving around 200 relays in an installation. Does
> anybody know a digital out board with more than 8 or 16 outs with a
> max object to talk to it?
>
> Thanks
>
> LP
> __________________________
> Louis-Pierre Morin [毛路薏]
> e-mail – lpmorin@gmail.com
> cell. – (514) 815-4889
> skype – nirom4889
>

#93274
Jan 17, 2007 at 4:32pm

Thanks for all of your suggestions. The idea of hacking a led matrix
is indeed excellent.

LP

On 16-Jan-07, at 9:02 AM, Sukandar Kartadinata wrote:

> The gluion has 68 I/O pins of which 66 can be configured as
> outputs. So you’d need 3 of them.
>
> Alternativaly you could connect simple serial shift registers, as
> the gluion’s outputs are not simply on/off but can carry almost any
> digital format. I had an installation once were we connected 16
> CMOS4094 for a total of 128 outputs. So for 200 outputs you’d need
> 25. Your box gets a bit bigger but overall costs are probably a bit
> lower.
>
> Let me know if you need more details.
>
> cheers,
> Sukandar
>
>
> On 15.01.2007, at 16:22, Louis-Pierre Morin wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’m looking at driving around 200 relays in an installation. Does
>> anybody know a digital out board with more than 8 or 16 outs with
>> a max object to talk to it?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> LP
>> __________________________
>> Louis-Pierre Morin [毛路薏]
>> e-mail – lpmorin@gmail.com
>> cell. – (514) 815-4889
>> skype – nirom4889
>>
>

__________________________
Louis-Pierre Morin [毛路薏]
e-mail – lpmorin@gmail.com
cell. – (514) 815-4889
skype – nirom4889

#93275

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.