Forums > MaxMSP

Dynamic Lists – Need help in making a poker hand history synth!!!

March 2, 2010 | 2:43 pm

Hello all,

I am planning to make a musical device in Max that will read poker hand histories, splitting the text files into various chunks. I will use various parts of the text files to generate music or modulation parameters. In the example below, i have a list of 9 seats from the hand history text file and wish to split this into individual lines and store in a Coll object. My problem is that i can get seat 1 to appear fine when you bang the Coll, but cannot get the rest of the seats into the coll in the same format – i know the problem is the [zl iter 4], which only looks for 4 chunks of data to put into each line in the coll. Obviously when it gets to Seat 2, because "The Rumblist" is two chunks this line is actually 5 items.

My question is, is there a way round this, i.e. can i dynamically read in the list and get it into the coll in the correct manner?? Obviously I could format all the hand histories text files so that, for example, "The Rumblist" is re written as "TheRumblist", but i’d like to not have to do that!

Any help greatly appreciated!

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

March 2, 2010 | 3:15 pm

I think the problem is rather the fact that textedit doesn’t output any carriage return, or newline or whatever, between the lines. The separator message won’t help as it doesn’t seem to accept special characters.

Do you have to use textedit? Maybe text is easier as you can get the lines separately.

March 2, 2010 | 3:27 pm

Hello Patrick…

Many thanks for taking the time to help me again!

I’m sorry but i’m not sure what you mean by [edit] – is this an object in Max?? It doesn’t have to use the [textedit] – i tried it first using another [coll] as the input but this didn’t work.

March 2, 2010 | 3:37 pm

I meant the text object, sorry.

Something like this, maybe (not sure what you’re after):
Paste your text into the textobject.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

March 2, 2010 | 3:48 pm

I had a search round and guessed you meant the [text] object and was just having a play with that myself! That solution you posted is pretty good! As i’m just starting on this project, i wasn’t entirely sure what i needed either, but this is certainly a good start. Many thanks Patrick (you da man!) and i will post more when i have ventured a bit further!

March 2, 2010 | 5:35 pm

Here’s a simplified version of what i’m trying to achieve with this…i have put some arbitrary sounds in for now, but aim to create a sound object for each element of the text file, similar to what’s in the [route] object. I hope to put more emotional feeling into each decision perhaps, such as a deflated sound for folding or an elated sound for winning, etc. Will take a lot more work mind! Many thanks Patrick for helping me out!!

Patch attached as a ZIP as it contains the text file needed to run it…hit DUMP first then turn on the metro for some noises!

August 14, 2012 | 3:02 pm

This is REALLY helpful! Thanks a million!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)