Forums > Dev

Easier documentation with Doctor Max

November 19, 2013 | 6:03 pm

Hi everybody,

I have recently created "Doctor Max", a simple tool to try to make Max 6 documentation easier for third-party libraries. We have used it to document the new version of bach (which, by the way, will be out in a couple of days!), but actually it is a more general tool, and maybe some of you might need it for their own libraries/externals/abstractions. We thought that it was worth to be shared.

The working principle is extremely easy: all documentation is done in your code, in a Doxygen-like way. Once you’ve properly documented your methods, attributes, arguments, etc., you can launch Doctor Max and obtain all the XML documentation files.

If anybody need such tool, you can download it from this page (Mac only, sorry…):
http://www.danieleghisi.com/research

In the zip file, there’s also an example of how the code should be commented.

Should you use the app, don’t hesitate to contact me to report any bug or issue!

Daniele

November 20, 2013 | 9:58 am

this stuff rocks!!! my word!!!

September 7, 2014 | 10:22 pm

This is great, really helpful. Thanks for sharing.

I’m wondering if you (or anyone else, for that matter) have had any luck getting Max to render your package’s docs with its fancy, javascript-based page? I’ve managed this by using [jweb] and browsing directly to a copied version of c74_docs.html (from /Applications/Max 6.1/patches/docs/dynamic/), but haven’t been able to figure out how to get Max to natively do it (for instance, in a help patcher, clicking the "?" tab and choosing "Open Reference"–this will render custom refpages via the "old" documentation renderer)…

September 8, 2014 | 2:03 am

Hi jdigerness,

As far as I know what you want is not possible in Max 6.1.x; 3rd party documentation is only renderable via the "old" documentation render.
The latest news I had were that Cycling ’74 is changing the documentation renderer for Max 7, and it looks like it will be 3rd-party compatible.

Daniele

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)