Forums > MaxMSP

easy? question about note-offs.

August 28, 2013 | 4:11 pm

hi all –
i’m trying to assign random velocities to notes without messing up the note-off messages and having a difficult time, especially when chords come into the picture. attached is my flawed approach. i know there is something simple that i’m missing here, i just can’t place it..

Attachments:
  1. flawed.maxpat

August 28, 2013 | 4:46 pm

does this work ?

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

August 28, 2013 | 4:54 pm

a bit – but it still struggles with chords a bit.. maybe this is a job for borax?

August 29, 2013 | 2:01 am

hm, this is odd. Your thing should have worked as well as mine in fact. You could try something with borax but it will maybe be complicated?.. You don’t have any midi problem with chords, when you don’t use that thing ? try linking directly a midiparse to a midiformat ? i don’t think it will change anything, but try placing integer 0′s in place of floating point 0′s in your unpack ? this looks like a midi specific timing related issue…but really, it should not be harder than that…

August 29, 2013 | 5:15 am

I think the problem is that individual chord notes are played with different velocities which sounds odd. For playing the chord notes with equal velocity you need to collect them using eg. the [thresh] object.

August 29, 2013 | 3:12 pm

well, i’m actually using the velocity information for sample-triggering, rather than volume.. but i bet the thresh object will solve this problem…

September 10, 2013 | 3:30 am

Here’s a similar patch with the same problem.
I’m trying to randomly route each new note to a new channel.
I’m not sure how to do that.

Attachments:
  1. attempting.maxpat

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)