Forums > Java

eclipse strangeness

jbm
June 19, 2007 | 7:06 pm

On a couple of occasions recently, I’ve had eclipse suddenly stop compiling classes. The last time this happened, which was just earlier today, eclipse itself had quit shortly before the problem began. The .java files are being updated correctly, and saved correctly, but for whatever reason classes won’t recompile when changes are made. I’ve tried manually compiling (still in eclipse) and even tried cleaning the project, but nothing works. Has anybody ever experienced this? Fortunately, I can compile it easily enough from Max’s editor/compiler (and probably from the command line, though I have tried that yet), but eclipse seems to have gone south. Has anybody gone through this weirdness, and if so, was there an easy way out? I’ve tried making new projects, deleting the prefs file, and even downloading/installing a new copy of eclipse. No luck, so far.

Alernatively, are there any other IDEs that people are using for mxj? I know XCode’s a possibility, but it doesn’t have the features of eclipse. Anything else to recommend?

Thanks,

J.

June 19, 2007 | 7:31 pm

Yes, I have experienced similar weirdness with Eclipse. Best solution
I’ve found is to erase your old version and reinstall it. Luckily
this is really painless as long as your projects are kept far away
from the Eclipse application.

Ben

jbm
June 19, 2007 | 8:09 pm

Cool. Good to know. I’m burnt out on it today, but I’ll try a (2nd) re-install tomorrow. Don’t know if I’m alone, but I really find eclipse’s file management to be a bit of a nightmare…

thanks,

J.

June 20, 2007 | 6:38 am

jbm
June 20, 2007 | 11:03 am

Okay, so I ripped everything out and started from scratch, and made a couple of weird discoveries (at least on my bizarro system):

1) If using default workspace in Eclipse, recompile is fine, but if using the default Max classpath (in C74 folder) for the Eclipse project, it won’t rebuild anything.
2) Moving the classes folder for my eclipse work out of the Max default path causes a strange delay with every *new* operation that’s run. That is, the first time I open my patch, each new method I run from the Max patcher is delayed. Once I’ve run the method at least once, it seems fine from then on.

The first point is really strange, but seems Eclipse-related to me… However, I really don’t understand it, as I was working with an Eclipse project running from my default Max class directory for literally months without issue. The second thing is also very odd, and seems to be related to Max having trouble finding the classpath. Max clearly (and accurately) lists both my default and custom classpaths on launch, so I don’t think it’s a question of the custom classes somehow not being seen properly. Really, I don’t know what’s up.

Has anybody had any of these weird problems? I’ve been having so much bugginess lately (including the dodgy timing from Mattijs’ sequencer last week), I’m wondering if something’s up with my system…

J.

jbm
June 20, 2007 | 12:10 pm

duuuuuh…. duh… (drooling profusely from corner of mouth)… I gotted it…

I had listed my package’s folder in the classpath. Stopping the path listing at the enclosing/parent folder did the trick. I guess this is because my code specifies the package, and therefor the classloader was looking for a package first, rather than the actual class files(?) Maybe?

Anyway, it’s fixed.

J.

June 20, 2007 | 12:30 pm

On 20 Jun 2007, at 13:10, jbmaxwell wrote:

> I had listed my package’s folder in the classpath. Stopping the
> path listing at the enclosing/parent folder did the trick. I guess
> this is because my code specifies the package, and therefor the
> classloader was looking for a package first, rather than the actual
> class files(?) Maybe?

I don’t have an answer to that, but I will say that it’s probably
best to maintain the .java/.class project directories as Eclipse
wants them (attached to CVS/SVN for added safety), and then modify
Max’s MXJ configuration to search there. (Then for deployment,
generate JARs and copy them across to Max’s directory.)

– N.

Nick Rothwell / Cassiel.com Limited
http://www.cassiel.com
http://www.myspace.com/cassieldotcom
http://www.loadbang.net

June 20, 2007 | 5:54 pm

June 20, 2007 | 7:24 pm

That makes sense. The classloader falls back on the max search path
as a last resort
so if it couldnt find it in the classpath it could take a while
depending on where the classes were.
t

On Jun 20, 2007, at 05:10 AM, jbmaxwell wrote:

>
> duuuuuh…. duh… (drooling profusely from corner of mouth)… I
> gotted it…
>
> I had listed my package’s folder in the classpath. Stopping the
> path listing at the enclosing/parent folder did the trick. I guess
> this is because my code specifies the package, and therefor the
> classloader was looking for a package first, rather than the actual
> class files(?) Maybe?
>
> Anyway, it’s fixed.
>
> J.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)