Forums > Javascript

Editor for writing max/msp/jitter javascript

May 24, 2007 | 11:36 am

Hi all,

I’ve been searching the forum for a mention of a good editor for writing javascript for MAX, but strangely I’ve found nothing!

Are all of you really happy simply using the built in editor that max provides?

Being a software engineer I’m used to environments such as Visual Studio for example, where you get color coding, context sensitive information, debugging tools, etc.

And frankly I really miss these tools now that I am learning to write JavaScript for Max/MSP/Jitter!

The really simple editor with the tiny fonts that is provided within MAX really just doesn’t cut it.

What alternative editor would you suggest with which to make writing Javascript for Max a simpler task?

Thanks!

Ilias B.


May 24, 2007 | 12:00 pm

I use TextWrangler on Mac, Notepad++ on PC

Mattijs

Quote: onar3d wrote on Thu, 24 May 2007 13:36
—————————————————-
> Hi all,
>
> I’ve been searching the forum for a mention of a good editor for writing javascript for MAX, but strangely I’ve found nothing!
>
> Are all of you really happy simply using the built in editor that max provides?
>
> Being a software engineer I’m used to environments such as Visual Studio for example, where you get color coding, context sensitive information, debugging tools, etc.
>
> And frankly I really miss these tools now that I am learning to write JavaScript for Max/MSP/Jitter!
>
> The really simple editor with the tiny fonts that is provided within MAX really just doesn’t cut it.
>
> What alternative editor would you suggest with which to make writing Javascript for Max a simpler task?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ilias B.
—————————————————-


May 24, 2007 | 12:08 pm

Notepad++ looks nice!

Just installed it, very civilized app, nothing like the stoneage built in one :)

Would love a feature where you can select the editor Max is going to start when you double click in the js object :). No biggie though to locate the file manually.

Thanks for the tip!


May 24, 2007 | 12:28 pm

Textmate on the Mac is fantastic. Lots of useful features.

http://macromates.com/

Jonathan

On 24/05/07, Ilias Bergstrom wrote:
>
>
> Notepad++ looks nice!
>
> Just installed it, very civilized app, nothing like the stoneage built in
> one :)
>
> Would love a feature where you can select the editor Max is going to start
> when you double click in the js object :). No biggie though to locate the
> file manually.
>
> Thanks for the tip!
>


Jonathan Green
0777 1680 497
jonathan@jg1983.co.uk


May 24, 2007 | 12:34 pm

Yep. I love it. For the penny-pincher, TextWrangler (free) is also
quite nice.

jb

Am 24.05.2007 um 14:28 schrieb Jonathan Green:

> Textmate on the Mac is fantastic. Lots of useful features.
> http://macromates.com/
>
> Jonathan


May 26, 2007 | 8:02 am

I use jEdit: http://www.jedit.org/

-Adam


March 6, 2009 | 7:58 am

I edit my max javascripts in TextMate (which is dear to me). Saving in TextMate doesn’t automatically update my jsui objects though. I have to reopen my patch for it to update. Is there a way around this?


March 6, 2009 | 10:31 am

The "autowatch" method should help you with this.

lh


March 7, 2009 | 3:13 am

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for pointing that out!


March 9, 2009 | 4:11 pm

Aptana Studio is fine for Javascript on MacOS X.

Roald Baudoux



efe
May 23, 2009 | 6:03 am

I use SubEthaEdit and for writing jitter shaders Smultron.


May 26, 2009 | 3:17 am

On OS X, I use emacs on the Terminal or XCode from the developer tools depending on my mood. Thinking back to my recent habits, it seems that I have been using emacs more for JavaScript and XCode when I’m working on Java for MXJs (even though I compile them on the command line).



Ch
May 26, 2009 | 10:31 pm

I used crimson editor (open source) on Windows. nice one.
http://www.crimsoneditor.com/


June 1, 2009 | 1:52 pm

I use ConTEXT editor for all my js, it’s quite nice and highly customizable.

http://www.contexteditor.org/


July 11, 2009 | 12:53 am

emacs!


July 11, 2009 | 1:35 am

Since this thread is still going a couple years later, I want to mention I have also jumped on the TextMate bandwagon. It’s really a great editor for OS X with solid support for a huge variety of languages including JS. On Windows you might want to check out "E text editor" which basically tries to emulate TextMate. Though I’m not sure why they call it "E", maybe the developer is really into MDMA or something.


July 15, 2009 | 2:07 pm

Dashcode.app in the OSX Developer distrib is nice.


July 26, 2009 | 6:35 pm

It’s funny that you mentioned Visual Studio in the original post, because I just recently started to use it for my Max Javascript work. It’s got decent syntax highlighting, (somewhat) customizable auto-formatting, and auto-completion. Visual Studio 2010 seems to have improved on a lot of this, so I’ve been using the VS2010 beta. In order to augment the auto-completion features, I wrote out two javascript files that define all the Max Javascript objects (and JSUI), so that I can include a reference comment (see below) to it that causes all of that to show up in auto-completion lists, but doesn’t effect the script when it’s running in Max.

reference comment:
///
… this causes visual studio to load the file for auto-completion.

I’ve attached my javascript include file. I also have one for jsui if anyone’s interested. They may also be useful in other editors that support auto-completion.


September 30, 2011 | 4:32 pm

>I’ve attached my javascript include file. I also have one for jsui if >anyone’s interested. They may also be useful in other editors that support >auto-completion.

Any chance of a re-post of the attachment? This might be quite helpful for my needs.

I was going to ask if anyone knew how to include the js.mxo in an editor’s search path to help with code assist and auto-complete functions. I have found a few editors that use auto-complete with standard javascript keywords and functions but they don’t recognize the Max specific extensions.

Thanks.


February 12, 2012 | 7:50 pm

emacs is the one true editor ;-), and has a top-notch Javascript mode.

If you are serious about programming, you need to learn a serious programmer’s editor – one that you can use on a remote server and exists by default on almost every machine. There are really only two in that category – vi and emacs – and emacs is simply a much better program IMHO, one that saves me hours a week.

Yes, emacs can be tough for the first few hours you’re using it, but modern emacs (e.g. Aquamacs on the Mac) is much smoother than it used to be, and you can learn those fancy keystroke commands as you get more used to the program.

(And what other text editor has a complete text-based adventure program "secretly" built into it?)


February 16, 2012 | 10:36 pm

Can I start a vi vs emacs flame?

vi > emacs

There i did it ;)

ps I use Coda for js in Max (or sometimes the snazzy new Max 6 editor).


December 30, 2012 | 6:58 am

Does anybody have the two javascript files referenced above that define all the Max Javascript objects?? They would really come in handy for auto-completion in Eclipse.

As a reminder thezer0ist@gmail.com said above

"I wrote out two javascript files that define all the Max Javascript objects (and JSUI), so that I can include a reference comment (see below) to it that causes all of that to show up in auto-completion lists, but doesn’t effect the script when it’s running in Max."


December 30, 2012 | 11:39 am

Just saw ths conversation pop up, and though I don’t have any information to help the current question, I wanted to throw my support behind jEdit, as it allows you to write in most programming languages including JavaScript, but also is extendable, with extensions written for syntax highlighting for Csound and Processing (thank you community!!). If someone (or my lazy self) could add Supercollider support and compilation options, this would be the ultimate IDE for a commuter music programmer in my opinion.


March 29, 2013 | 10:17 pm

i’m all into sublime text personally!
(it’s all popular and stuff these days, but i’m all hipster and got into it way before the herd :))

(i came to this thread trying to figure out how to change which text editor opens from inside max, still haven’t figured that one out)


March 17, 2014 | 2:23 pm

Re: Malikilam and thezer0ist@gmail.com, I am wondering if there is any way to get autocompletion working for Max Javascript objects in an editor like Notepad++?

Thanks!


Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)