Forums > Max For Live

Embedded patcher-file or other files in a single m4l-file

August 26, 2012 | 2:18 pm

Hi there,

I am working on some new Instruments and helpers for our hardware. Much of this stuff is very complex and big so i spend a lot of time to create patchers for the stuff i often use. In max 6 i add these patchers to a project. This makes me start working with these patcher in my main patcher.

Today, after most of the core is done i started porting to max for live. This was the first time i used max4live. Now i am stuck in one little problem:

When i add my patcher-files or externals or whatelse (like code, media) into the m4l-patcher’s folder i can access them and work with them. As expected … I mean they have to be somewhere, thats clear…

But … In some of the example instruments that come with max for live people also use subpatchers or patchers or code or medias. But they seem to be embedded into the single m4l file … So how is this done? I mean, i dont want people to download the m4l-file and all of my externals or patcher-files.

I know that i can use subpatchers of the content of my patcher … But what about the poly~ object?

For example monolakes granulator. There is a poly~ object to instanciate the ml.granulator.voice.mxpat (name is something like that). When i try to open it, it won’t show … But it is there .. Not on my disk but somewehre in that single m4l file, or not?

Can someone help me please?

Thanks,

Simon

August 26, 2012 | 2:29 pm

I think the "freeze" button/ function (bottom left of edited m4l patchers) is what you are looking for. It will (should) also create any abstractions etc. when a frozen 3rd party device is ‘unfrozen’ to a directory somewhere on your machine (usually the desktop)…

August 26, 2012 | 2:31 pm

I will have a look in a few minutes … But let me redefine my question:

How to embedd files into a single m4l-File ?

Thanks,

Simon

August 26, 2012 | 3:33 pm

Check the dependencies window (View -> Dependencies). Every file or directory you add there will be included the very moment you freeze your device.

August 26, 2012 | 7:14 pm

Thanks!

That should help!

Simon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)