Forums > Max For Live

Embedding abstractions in patch files

January 5, 2010 | 2:05 pm

Apologies for the newbie question, but I’m unsure about the best way to neatly package up a patch that contains references to external patch files. I have a simple patch that refers to a single external patch, and I’d like to be able to share it with others without too much hassle.

Any tips?

January 5, 2010 | 2:36 pm

hi,

I think the simplest way is to put all abstractions you need in the same folder as your main patch and share the whole folder
give a friendly name to the entry patch like "_MAIN" or something similar to help people to see it

if you are using a lot of abstractions it could be better to put them in another folder but you will have to add this folder to your max search paths list

I hope this helps (and hope my english is understandable…)

a.

January 5, 2010 | 3:33 pm

If you have a larger project, you should look into "collectives". For something like what you mention, though, I often end up just copy and pasting the abstraction into a patcher object. It would be nice if there was an option to save abstraction (and js scripts) with the patcher, like with colls.

FP
January 5, 2010 | 6:26 pm

if it’s for maxforlive, maybe just freeze your device.

January 5, 2010 | 11:09 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Since I am indeed using Max for Live, the best solution for me was freezing the device. Now I know what that button’s for! =)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)