Emotion and Speech

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:30pm

Emotion and Speech

Hi All,

I’m trying to find ways to automate a granular synthesis patch so that I can change the pitch / volume / tempo of a spoken sentence to make the speaker sound angry / happy/ sad. In turn I want to come up with some pre-sets for each emotion.

I’ve been playing about with the function object keep experience problems. Sometimes it automates the start of the sound file and then just stops. Is there a way of making the domain exactly the same as the sample time played through the buffer?

I’ve also been experimenting with the counter / metro objects. Is there a way of changing what the counter counts? Specifically, I want it to count upwards between 0.1 and 2, so that it begins 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 etc…

Any other suggestions of how to automate would be much appreciated.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:57pm

counter 1 – 20
|

will output range you are after. the other bit about triggering a soundfile with function is difficult to understand without an example patch. but if you want sample accurate alternative to function, the help file to adsr~ is worth looking at.

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:15pm

thanks!

I’ve used ADSR before when synthesizing midi notes. Do you think this would work on a longer sentence like “The orange is round” ? Would you recommend using one ADSR for the entire phrase or several for each word or syllable?

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:00pm

With [function] you can program in multiple break-points per sound file, with [adsr] you only get the three. In regards to making the [function] last as long as the sound file you can get the length using [info~] (assuming you’re using [buffer~] to play your sound) and then use this value as the argument to the “domain” or “setdomain” message to [function].

lh

Jul 22, 2009 at 10:56pm

This seems very interesting.

You will want to use bonk~ with info~ to identify when words start in the sentence in relation to the buffer~. Presets for a whole sentence will be hard because the sentence would change with context, but you could have preset which could be applied to each word.
I would stick to function with many points but that’s because I’ve always used function and haven’t had a reason to use adsr~. But also depending on how detailed you would like to go – I think longer words may need more than 3 breakpoints.

Jul 23, 2009 at 10:14am

Thanks for this.

Are “bonk~” and “info~” objects? They don’t seem to work when I create them as such. Should they be used within the argument of the buffer?

Please help!!

Jul 23, 2009 at 10:22am

info~ is a native msp object, but needs to have an argument (the name of the buffer it will refer to) for it to instantiate – check out the help file.

bonk~ is 3rd party, made by Miller Puckette I think. Go to http://www.maxobjects.com and seach for it.

If you have the max window open while you patch, it will tell you things go wrong, like “missing arguments for info~”. It’s a big time saver.

BTW, when you download bonk~ the way to “install” is to drag/copy+paste the bonk~.mxo into Applications/Max5/Cycling74/MSP Externals folder. And place the bonk~.maxhelp into the MSP Help folder.

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:40pm

Hi thanks for your help.

How do I use the bonk with info to find the word length? Which part of bonk do I connect to info, or is it the other way round??

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:43pm

info~ won’t connect to bonk~. you would want to use info~ to get pitch / sample / loop length information from the buffer~ that you link it to by name. in your case, use info~ to retrieve the overall length of your recording.

bonk~ does live attack detection – it bangs when it detects an onset. if you have your voice recorded in a buffer~ you could connect bonk~ to something like timer / clocker and use coll in some way to collect your data for when the attacks/words occur. experiment with it.

a short time ago somebody posted a link to a new external that was kind of a cross between analyzer~ and a beat slicer. cant remember who, but search the forums for mpeg7 – it might be of use/interest.

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:51pm

goodparleyandorfing wrote on Fri, 24 July 2009 10:43

bonk~ does live attack detection – it bangs when it detects an onset. if you have your voice recorded in a buffer~ you could connect bonk~ to something like timer / clocker and use coll in some way to collect your data for when the attacks/words occur. experiment with it.

Hi,

I’ve had a go at this but really struggling on how to connect time/bonk/coll together to detect the attacks for the words in my speech file. Any suggestions?

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.