Enttec DMX USB Pro – New Max Object – imp.dmx.usbpro – BETA VERSION

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:56am

Enttec DMX USB Pro – New Max Object – imp.dmx.usbpro – BETA VERSION

I’ve been working on this as a replacement for the exiting dmxusbpro object by Olaf Matthes, which I’ve been having problems with recently when using receive mode in Max 6. It’s not a drop-in replacement, your patch may need some minor changes but it works basically the same way.

This object is built for OS X 10.5 and up, and provides support for every mode of operation of the DMX USB Pro hardware via the VCP drivers. No windows version yet, but I’m working on it. Help patcher included.

Please don’t use for any shows. It’s not yet guaranteed to be stable, although I haven’t seen any crashes so far.

http://www.theimpersonalstereo.com/downloads/imp_dmx_usbproV0_8.zip

CC-Attribution-Non-Commerical-ShareAlike licensed for now. I’m exploring possibilities for future commercial licensing. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0.

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:38am

Cool. Will give it a try but only in a couple of weeks. Big shows coming up…

I haven’t experienced any issues with Olaf’s though. Have no need for receive mode either.

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:47pm

Since I don’t use Max6, may I ask what the problem was/is?

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:58pm

When initially connecting to the hardware (in receive mode) using the dmxusbpro object, numerous errors are posted to the max window saying ‘returned data has wrong size (514)’. No messages are output from the object containing received DMX data. Furthermore, when attempting to quit Max, the application freezes. After force quitting, it becomes impossible to open Max again as it freezes on load. Occasionally after 30 seconds or so the whole system will lock up requiring an emergency reboot. If reboot or shut down is selected from OS menu bar, system will freeze while attempting to shut down.

This happens using the object with Max 6 both with OS X 10.7 and with 10.8.

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:33pm

Thanks for the explanation, David. Are you sure this worked in earlier versions of Max and/or OS X? I had the same thing in Max4 on 10.4 some years ago. My understanding was that in receive mode the Entetc box just sends all the data to the computer. If you close the patch while in receive mode it keeps on sending, flooding the USB bus with data that nobody ever reads. So eventualy other devices connected to the USB bus (mouse, keyboard) will respond very slow also.

A semi-practical work-around was to always switch back to send mode before closing a patch.

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:26pm

The last time I’d used receive mode and had it working was with Max 5 and OS X 10.6.

There seem to be two issues here, firstly the interpretation of the received DMX packet (which is failing), and secondly the fact that the serial port perhaps isn’t being closed in the object free method.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:57am

David,
Please tell us when your windows version is available.
regards.
Nicolight

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:07pm

I can’t really make any promises as to when the Windows version will be available. The serial port connection functions will have to be rewritten to use the windows SDK rather than POSIX methods, which will take a bit of time as I’m not very familiar with Windows programming. It’s not a massive change but I don’t know when I’ll be able to find the time to do it. Hopefully within the next month.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:22am

Hello David,

First, many thanks for the imp.dmx.usbpro object.

I use it with no problem until yesterday.

I get this message (MacBookPro 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / Mac Os 10.5.8) :
imp.dmx.usbpro: unable to load object bundle executable
2013-03-14 00:28:35.087 Max[130:20b] Error loading /Max Patches/lib/imp_dmx_usbproV0_8/imp.dmx.usbpro.mxo/Contents/MacOS/imp.dmx.usbpro: dlopen(/Max Patches/lib/imp_dmx_usbproV0_8/imp.dmx.usbpro.mxo/Contents/MacOS/imp.dmx.usbpro, 262): no suitable image
found. Did find:
/Max Patches/lib/imp_dmx_usbproV0_8/imp.dmx.usbpro.mxo/Contents/MacOS/imp.dmx.usbpro: unknown required load command 0×80000022

Have you encountered this problem ?

Thanks

Pry

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:11am

I think the problem may be your OS X version, I build all my objects against the 10.6 SDK so they’re unlikely to work with anything below. Have you managed to use it at all in 10.5?

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:56pm

Hi David,

Finaly I’ve found a 10.6 Laptop. Everything worked perfectly.

Thanks. I love your objects.

Pry

May 8, 2013 at 9:22am

Great work! However, quick question: I am using the dmx usb pro MK2, and it seems to close the connection after a short while. I suspect this might have something to do with the amount of messages being sent to the object (it works slightly better when I lower the frame rate), but do you have any similar experiences or tips on how to improve on this?

Also, any chance of support for two universes?

May 8, 2013 at 9:40am

There’s definitely some serial connection problems with the current release, I’ll try and find some time to take a look at it. I’d like to add support for the MK2 features but I don’t have a hardware unit. If someone is willing to lend me one I should be able to do it fairly quickly.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:04pm

Hi David,

I want to run ‘Dmax’ for max for live but cant get Olaf’s dmxusbpro external to work, im pretty rusty with max msp so not sure if its a driver issue, although I have downloaded the latest VCP driver from FTDI -> http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

I have downloaded and installed your DMX external and have Max6 running on 10.8 and the dmx usb pro connected to a fixture and all works fine. :)

Do you know if its possible to get dmax to work with your external instead of the dmxusbpro external?

Thanks.

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:40am

It’s possible, but there’s known issues with my dmxusbpro external at the moment so I wouldn’t rely on it for a show. I’m working on an update currently, after which I’ll probably do a minor update to DMaX to add it in.

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:25am

Hi David,

Thats great news, im super keen to test it out.

Do you have an ETA on when you will be releasing the update?

A friend and I have tried to build in your external into dmax (attached) but for some reason the imp.dmx.usbpro external always appears beige. Not sure why.

Oct 2, 2013 at 2:44am

have a look. it works fine on windows using the serial object without any external.

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:37pm

Hi,

I’ve been using the USBDMXPRO Enttec box for a while now with David’s imp.dmxusbpro object. Although I’ve been using it with standard LED RGB “DJ Lights”, recently I used it to run the lighting system of a big theater. I was trying to control the lighting system with some custom build Arduino interfaces using the Enttec box. At first everything looked good, but then the thing started crashing. It wasn’t Max that crashed but the box that suddenly closed the USB connection (reported by the Max window), after I while I realized that this happened when I called several DMX addresses at once or when the numbers to those addresses moved very fast (the custom interface is a fader so I’m using the whole 0 to 255 range of the DMX addresses I’m calling).
My conclusions where that either the Enttec box couldn’t take all that information that fast (I’m using the old USBDMXPRO with the white label, I know there’s a newer one, perhaps that one has that solved) or that David’s object got confused when you put to much information in it since is my understanding that it is creating jitter matrices, and since I’m not a programmer I wonder if the object has to create a list for every DMX address in all the range, whether you’re using them or not. I’m mentioning this because I know you can limit the number of DMX channels you’re using in the Max object and when I did that it stopped crashing (for now). But since a theater has hundreds of DMX addresses you need to have the capacity to use them all.

Still, I don’t know of it’s the box or the object, I don’t think is my computer because I tried it with two different ones.

Any thoughts anyone, David, Olaf…?

Thanks.

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:05am

There’s definitely problems with the imp.dmx.usbpro external. I haven’t really done any work on it since the initial beta. It’s high on my to-do list but I have very little time to maintain my code at the moment. There will be an announcement when I get around to fixing it.

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:38am

Thanks for the quick reply David, I’m looking forward for your update, I think your object is great!

Any thoughts on how to reduce the crashing?

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:32am

helle everyone,

for a project i need to be able to thru a dmx signal, but at various moments block it completely and then output some very simpel static dmx data. i was thinking of perhaps using two dmx usb pro’s and two imp.dmx.usbpro objects for both input and output of dmx data. does anyone know if this is possible? or perhaps someone knows an easier solution. it seems the mk2 is a bit out of budget, but that might perhaps be a solution as well….

any help/advice would be very welcome.

anne-jan

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:32am

hello everyone,

for a project i need to be able to thru a dmx signal, but at various moments block it completely and then output some very simpel static dmx data. i was thinking of perhaps using two dmx usb pro’s and two imp.dmx.usbpro objects for both input and output of dmx data. does anyone know if this is possible? or perhaps someone knows an easier solution. it seems the mk2 is a bit out of budget, but that might perhaps be a solution as well….

any help/advice would be very welcome.

anne-jan

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.