Forums > MaxMSP

Envelope and volume control problem

June 7, 2012 | 1:03 pm

Howdy! I have a simple yet annoying problem: I’m trying to control the amp of a synth with envelope, velocity values and a volume dial. However, when all the controls are connected to *~ object, they won’t work together. For instance, changing the volume would yield a continuos sound which obviously I don’t want. Here’s an example:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

I want to be able to control the volume and use the envelope at the same time. Any ideas would be appreciated!

June 7, 2012 | 1:12 pm

Id suggest using a seperate, [*~ ] to control volume *after* the envelope [*~]. In other words, any gain modifications, ie envelope, and final volume, should have their own ‘gain stage’ unless they are intentionally interactive.

June 7, 2012 | 1:15 pm

Brilliant1 Thanks!

June 7, 2012 | 5:53 pm

Just to clarify further, because this is something that isn’t always immediately obvious: when you send multiple signal patch cords (this is true only for signal patch cords!) into the same inlet they are added together.

If you want A*B*C*D you need to use multiple *~ objects (on for each *!).

Sending A into the left inlet of *~ and B,C,D into the right inlet of that *~ object will give you A*(B+C+D).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)