Forums > MaxMSP

EQ with Hand Drawn Curve

April 22, 2014 | 7:32 pm

I’m pretty new to MaxMSP, and I was wondering if you guys could help me with this.

I’m interested in creating an EQ plugin for Live that allows you to hand draw the EQ path/curve. I want to use a Leap Motion controller to sketch the curve for the equalizer. I’m planning on running the Leap Motion through Processing to generate a visualizer for it, and I was hoping to be able to output an array to Max that would correspond to the curve for the equalizer. I’ve seen hand drawn waveforms in Max, so I was hoping to be able to do the same with equalizers, though I’ve never seen that approach.

Does anyone know of any Max plugins that might already have that kind of functionality? Even one that used a mouse to draw the line would be really helpful. If not, can anyone give me any tips on how to approach this? I’d really appreciate it. I’m also interested in doing the same thing with waveforms (with the Leap Motion), so if you have any advice on that, please let me know! Thanks!

April 22, 2014 | 10:18 pm

if you have Max6, there’s a gen~ example that implements what you’re looking for located within the max folder here:
Max6../examples/gen/gen~.spectraldelay.maxpat

(if you don’t have Max6, it’s pretty simple, just create a pfft~, create a buffer~ equal to the pfft~ vectorsize(half the fft-size), and use waveform~ or multislider to draw eq-shape within the buffer~. finally, index~ the buffer~ synced to the third outlet of an fftin~ object and multiply the result by the amplitude-part of a cartopol~ conversion within the pfft~(coming from fftin~). this multiplies the bins by the eq-shape and creates a quick and easy visual interface.
this is the easiest to implement for beginners, but has a linear feel(in both the draw-interface and the control over frequency response), due to the linearity of frequency bins in a STFT)

April 24, 2014 | 1:05 pm

Thanks so much! Working on implementing this now.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)