Forums > MaxMSP

Eric Lyon's chopper~ external

August 10, 2006 | 9:58 pm

Hello all,

I’ve found Eric Lyon’s chopper~ external to be very useful, and usually problem-free. However, suddenly, as of yesterday, I’ve been having some problems with it. What’s especially interesting is that this problem started happening around the same time on both my laptop and desktop computers, which have not interacted with one another for at least a month. I’m running the demo version (not runtime, but the problem occurs in runtime as well) of Max/MSP 4.5.7 on Windows XP, and I still have 15 days left until authorization. Up to this point, the patch and the chopper~ external have been running smoothly.

Here’s the problem: when I turn on audio processing in a patch using four instances of the chopper~ external (all reading from the same buffer, into which I loop-record live audio from an external mixer), no audio processing actually takes place (nothing shows up on level indicators within the patch), and the following message appears in the Max window:

error: chopper~: no buffer~

Eventually Max/MSP freezes, at which point the following message appears in the Max window:

error: force loop: index -4379827 is out of range
total:7580160 start:-4379827, samps2go:-5266, tloopsamps:-5266, increment:2.440741

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I should add that this problem occurs also when I turn on audio processing in the chopper~ help file; in other words, it occurs whenever I try to use the chopper~ external, not just in the case of the aforementioned patch.

Additionally, Eric Lyon’s web site — http://arcana.dartmouth.edu/~eric/MAX/ — seems to be down. I hadn’t checked it for a while since I ran into this problem yesterday, so I can’t say how long it’s been down, but I remember it being online at an earlier point.

Thanks!

August 11, 2006 | 5:12 pm

Does it work with only one acessing the buffer? or not at all now? could well be that theres a clitch in there somewhere that doesnt like accessing the same buffer as three others. If that doesnt help, last address I know of to get hold of him can be found through manchester uni. Though he is moving to SARC, so maybe he isnt available at manchester these days. I’d have a scout about.
Also 4.5.7 is a beta, it could just be a bit on the glitchy side, and you’ve found one of many
T

August 11, 2006 | 10:43 pm

Quote: Trum wrote on Fri, 11 August 2006 11:12
—————————————————-
> Does it work with only one acessing the buffer? or not at all now? could well be that theres a clitch in there somewhere that doesnt like accessing the same buffer as three others.
—————————————————-

It fails even when only one chopper~ is being used.

Thanks for the info you provided, though (about Eric’s general whereabouts).

Also, here is the set of Eric’s externals in which chopper~ can be found (Windows only):

http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~imkenned/lyonpotpourri_winxp_2004-01-26.zip

Since Eric’s Dartmouth site is down, I don’t think these are available anywhere else. If anyone else wants to give these a try, let me know how chopper~ works out for you.

Thanks again!

August 12, 2006 | 12:13 am

Thanks for the report. The relevant error message indicates that chopper~ is not finding the specified buffer. I can verify that I am not getting this message or problem on OSX 4.5.7 with my version of chopper~ or the older version that is online. Of course this only pertains to the MacOS version. In any case, the distributed version of chopper~ is ancient and due for an update. Since I will be presenting some new externals at the ICMC in November 2006, my guess is that shortly after that would be a good time for a new release of my Potpourri of externals, presumably with both UB and Windows builds. At present there is a mirror site with the current versions here:

eamusic.dartmouth.edu/~eric

Eric

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)