Forums > MaxMSP

erratic midi CC data problem

January 18, 2008 | 4:26 pm

Hallo
I’m converting Wiimote motion data to midiCC data (in GlovePIE program); and sending it (via MIDIYoke) to max/msp midiin or ctlin objects; the data jumps between values and appears unpredictable. Granted, the values from the wiimote aren’t perfectly smooth, but do not reflect the erratic and unpredictable nature of the data coming in to max/msp. If I use an external HW midi controller into msp, CC data is stable; but if I use the Wiimote as described above, but send it to, say, AudioMulch or Ableton, the data is still fairly stable. It would seem that max/msp doesn’t like the mildly jerky data coming from the wiimote. Is this correct? Or do I need to shift the blame from max/msp to my GlovePIE script?
Brendan

January 18, 2008 | 4:50 pm

brendan mccloskey skrev:
> Hallo
> I’m converting Wiimote motion data to midiCC data (in GlovePIE program); and sending it (via MIDIYoke) to max/msp midiin or ctlin objects; the data jumps between values and appears unpredictable. Granted, the values from the wiimote aren’t perfectly smooth, but do not reflect the erratic and unpredictable nature of the data coming in to max/msp. If I use an external HW midi controller into msp, CC data is stable; but if I use the Wiimote as described above, but send it to, say, AudioMulch or Ableton, the data is still fairly stable. It would seem that max/msp doesn’t like the mildly jerky data coming from the wiimote. Is this correct? Or do I need to shift the blame from max/msp to my GlovePIE script?
> Brendan

Hi Brendan,
first of all I have to ask: Why not just hook the wiimote directly up to
Max?

Secondly, I would definitely look at your glovepie script – the jumpy
data must come from somewhere other than max. I don’t recall ever having
seen a corrupted stream of continuous controllers in there.

Thirdly there are some good objects out there to smooth out your data.
Apart from the usual suspects (like using [line] for smoothing), I also
remember one called lbyl (look before you leap) which ignores large
jumps in data, aka jitter.

hope this helps.
Andreas.

January 18, 2008 | 11:22 pm

Thank you for these very prompt and helpful suggestions.
Two questions remain however, before I attempt my own solution (I’m a relative newcomer to max/msp);
When you suggest sending the wiimote data directly to max/msp, do you mean via OSC, or into a Javascript, or some such? I’m only familiar with GlovePIE to convert the wiimote data into a midi stream. I have successfully refined my GlovePIE script so that the data is a smooth as possible so, as I’m unfamiliar with OSC and js, maybe your third suggestion is the best route; as i understand the line object, it ramps from one value to another; how might i use line to smooth the incoming data? With variables?
Thanks again
Brendan

January 18, 2008 | 11:55 pm

brendan mccloskey skrev:
> Thank you for these very prompt and helpful suggestions.
> Two questions remain however, before I attempt my own solution (I’m a relative newcomer to max/msp);
> When you suggest sending the wiimote data directly to max/msp, do you mean via OSC, or into a Javascript, or some such?

No, I meant using the max objects available for it:
http://maxobjects.com/?v=objects&id_objet=3880&requested=wii&operateur=AND&id_plateforme=0
http://maxobjects.com/?v=objects&id_objet=3951&requested=wii&operateur=AND&id_plateforme=0
These objects let you send the info directly from the wiimote into Max,
without involving other apps.

Search the max forum, there have been plenty of threads about the topic.

best,,
Andreas.

January 19, 2008 | 12:31 am

thanks again; looks like i’ll have to ditch windows and get that macbook!!

January 19, 2008 | 12:59 am

brendan mccloskey skrev:
> thanks again; looks like i’ll have to ditch windows and get that macbook!!
>
Why? tk.wii is for windows.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)