errors converting patches from 4.x to 5

Jun 7, 2008 at 2:52pm

errors converting patches from 4.x to 5

i’ve been going through my old patches and converting them and i’ve noticed that whenever there are objects that use patcher arguments (i.e. “delay #2″, etc), max 5 seems to replace the “#2″ (or whatever number) with “0″…. which causes a lot problems.
so far, the only way that i’ve been able to deal with it is to open both 4.x and 5 and open things in 4.6 first, look for any use of patcher arguments and then replace incorrect parts in max 5.
i assume someone else has to have encountered this at some point (i’m sorry if there’ve already been posts about this that i missed), so is there a way to fix it?

Jun 7, 2008 at 3:00pm

On 7 juin 08, at 16:52, thezer0ist wrote:

> i’ve been going through my old patches and converting them and i’ve
> noticed that whenever there are objects that use patcher arguments
> (i.e. “delay #2″, etc), max 5 seems to replace the “#2″ (or whatever
> number) with “0″…. which causes a lot problems.
> so far, the only way that i’ve been able to deal with it is to open
> both 4.x and 5 and open things in 4.6 first, look for any use of
> patcher arguments and then replace incorrect parts in max 5.
> i assume someone else has to have encountered this at some point
> (i’m sorry if there’ve already been posts about this that i missed),
> so is there a way to fix it?

Could you provide an example? or send it to support [at] cycling74
[dot] com

Thanks,
ej

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:54pm

this is a basic patch written with max 4.5.5 saved in the “text” format (mxt), and the same patch as opened and saved with max 5.0.2, as well as screenshots of both. i tested the same technique when the patch was saved in the “binary” format (mxb), and the problem didn’t repeat. so i assume that it only occurs when converting text format patches.

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:57am

thezer0ist schrieb:
> this is a basic patch written with max 4.5.5 saved in the “text”
> format (mxt), and the same patch as opened and saved with max 5.0.2,
> as well as screenshots of both.

opens fine here with 5.0.3 as expected with #1 as argument…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:18am

On 30 juin 08, at 07:57, Stefan Tiedje wrote:

> thezer0ist schrieb:
>> this is a basic patch written with max 4.5.5 saved in the “text”
>> format (mxt), and the same patch as opened and saved with max 5.0.2,
>> as well as screenshots of both.
>
> opens fine here with 5.0.3 as expected with #1 as argument…

Same here.

ej

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:11pm

You didn’t by any chance open your patcher by double clicking on an abstraction and then choose the Modify Read Only command on the file menu, did you? If so, you would have seen the yellow-bar warning at the top that your # args would be replaced.

That is the only explanation I can see for the problem you are seeing. If you just open your abstraction as a patch via the File Open menu then the # args should persist just fine. If you can find what you are doing to make this happen that would be great.

Also, if not, please update to 5.0.3 just to make sure that nothing in this regard has been fixed.

Thanks,
Rob

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:48pm

Actually, I think I realized what probably happened. My guess is that you opened your top-level-patcher in Max 5 and then you double clicked on the abstraction and then used the File -> Save As… menu to save the abstraction as a Max 5 patcher.

The problem with the above is that once the patcher is loaded as an abstraction the # args are replaced with whatever the argument is. Thus, saving the Max 5 patcher from the loaded abstraction is a bad idea. To prevent this from happening please open the patcher first as a top-level patcher.

Perhaps there is something we can do to prevent this in the future, but for now, don’t use File -> Save As… from an abstraction. If you see the square brackets in the window title beware.

Rob

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:59pm

Quote: Rob Sussman wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 10:48
—————————————————-
> Actually, I think I realized what probably happened. My guess is that you opened your top-level-patcher in Max 5 and then you double clicked on the abstraction and then used the File -> Save As… menu to save the abstraction as a Max 5 patcher.
>
> The problem with the above is that once the patcher is loaded as an abstraction the # args are replaced with whatever the argument is. Thus, saving the Max 5 patcher from the loaded abstraction is a bad idea. To prevent this from happening please open the patcher first as a top-level patcher.
>
> Perhaps there is something we can do to prevent this in the future, but for now, don’t use File -> Save As… from an abstraction. If you see the square brackets in the window title beware.
>
> Rob
>
—————————————————-

i just opened it using the File -> Open command from the main menu. there were no other top-level patchers involved.
i have yet to get 5.0.3 installed, but i’ll let you all know what happens once i do. (i noticed that 5.0.3 had been released moments after posting the examples..)

Jun 30, 2008 at 4:31pm

Quote: Rob Sussman wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 10:48
—————————————————-
> Actually, I think I realized what probably happened. My guess is that you opened your top-level-patcher in Max 5 and then you double clicked on the abstraction and then used the File -> Save As… menu to save the abstraction as a Max 5 patcher.
>
> The problem with the above is that once the patcher is loaded as an abstraction the # args are replaced with whatever the argument is. Thus, saving the Max 5 patcher from the loaded abstraction is a bad idea. To prevent this from happening please open the patcher first as a top-level patcher.
>
> Perhaps there is something we can do to prevent this in the future, but for now, don’t use File -> Save As… from an abstraction. If you see the square brackets in the window title beware.
>
> Rob
>
—————————————————-

as i have said, i simply opened it using the File -> Open command. nothing strange. i am aware that this should not happen, which is why i posted the message.
after i updated to 5.0.3, the problem went away, so it doesn’t really matter at this point

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:11pm

thezer0ist schrieb:
> i just opened it using the File -> Open command from the main menu.
> there were no other top-level patchers involved. i have yet to get
> 5.0.3 installed, but i’ll let you all know what happens once i do. (i
> noticed that 5.0.3 had been released moments after posting the
> examples..)

Did you open the same patch in Max 4.6 to check? I bet it happened there
already. I had problems like that in Max 4.6, when opening poly~s/pfft~s
and editing-saving without being aware that I’d work like in MRO in Max
5. There was no indication [with brackets] that I was going to destroy
my #x…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:22pm

i don’t think i ever had 4.6 installed. but i wasn’t using poly~ of pfft~ just regular abstractions.
the problem is solved in 5.0.3, so it doesn’t really matter at this point.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.