Forums > MaxMSP

Ethernet crashes !?

February 26, 2014 | 9:52 am

hi

Working on a new Macbook Pro (which means no Ethernet port) I bought the (very expensive) Apple cables USB-to-Ethrenet and Thunderbolt-to-Etherent in order to use my old LANBOX LCE

with a very simple max patch (sending 9 lines – continous streams) to a LED bar, max keeps on crashing (5 crashes already)

_The only new thing here is the xxx-to-Etherenet cable : in the beginning I thought the problem was the USB (too slow maybe ?) so I changed to Thunderbolt, but it keeps crashing 

_Anybody had some problems with those cables? Is it a known problem?

Mac Book pro 2.3 IntelCore i7

OS10.9.1

latest MAX 6.1.6

many thanks

kasper

February 26, 2014 | 10:54 am

I have been running the same setup without any problems, well except for the LED bar, Im using LED tri pars.
If you post the patch I can test it on my setup.

February 26, 2014 | 12:59 pm

hi

same setup? do you use usb or Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet???

I just did try the same patch on my previous MAC, OS 10.6.8 (and an ethernet port) no problems at all

So It must be a Mavericks problem……..

anyhow, the patch is there (if you don’t have "rand" object, replacing it with "random 256" should work)

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

February 27, 2014 | 1:52 am

Would be interesting to see if the crash log doesn’t mention nsock, which is not in the standard distribution of Max.

February 27, 2014 | 2:16 am

the crashlog mentions it twice – then I don’t know what it means (I am unable to read a crashlog). Nsock is given by lanbox, and is the standart (?) object-interface between max and lanbox. Of course i send a mail to lanbox as well!!!

February 27, 2014 | 12:51 pm

your patch is not crashing for me, tried it with both usb and thunderbolt adapters.

But you don’t need to use the Nsock object, test with this solution instead.

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

February 28, 2014 | 5:51 am

hi
thanks for the patch – actually NOW my patch is not crashing !! (yes I send the info etc to lanbox makers!!)

_one more thing – you say you connected it with the USB adapter : how did you manange this (manual IP I guess ????) I can not have the USB->etherent talk with the lanbox (with TB->Ethernet, it works)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)