Forums > MaxMSP

Expo 2011 workshop podcast?

August 21, 2011 | 11:26 am

I’m in the UK and as such I can’t go to the 2011 expo ’74. However, there are obviously some of the workshops happening this year that it’s really unfortunate for those of us in the rest of the world to miss out on.

Are there any plans to make full individual workshops available (via video) to purchase after the expo for those who can’t get there?

Perhaps a pay-for podcast?

August 21, 2011 | 1:40 pm

+1

I follow the C74 fb page, and am currently green with envy at the wealth of talent, particularly several of the community driven workshops, available to those who can and will travel to it.

I can’t, as I live in Norn Iron, and would be more than happy to sub-up, for any media that could be made available,

Brendan

August 21, 2011 | 3:20 pm

+1

August 21, 2011 | 4:28 pm

+1

stuck in Holland so same here.

john.

August 21, 2011 | 5:23 pm

+1

me too. Here in North Wales and just starting a university course. no chance of getting to brooklyn but some of these seminars look REALLY interesting.

richard

August 23, 2011 | 12:27 pm

+1

August 23, 2011 | 12:32 pm

+1

August 23, 2011 | 8:54 pm

+1

August 25, 2011 | 10:37 pm

bumpity bump :)

August 25, 2011 | 11:13 pm

stuck in manc-hester. so a +1 from me also.

August 26, 2011 | 12:18 am

definitely make teasers available for free, and longer recordings available for purchase. I would buy some :)

August 26, 2011 | 6:30 am

+1 Salford’s just about 3000 miles too far from Brooklyn.

I’d happily pay for something like this though.

August 26, 2011 | 9:54 am

C’mon Euro-Maxers

The Cycling elves will be looking for at least 40 of these +1′s before responding, so get sharing, f-booking, G+ -ing, Twatting etc

Brendan

August 26, 2011 | 12:16 pm

+1 too poor to travel!

August 26, 2011 | 6:03 pm

Combine this with the interest in a Europe-based Expo ’74 and we’ve got to get something right? :-P

August 26, 2011 | 6:30 pm

I really appreciate every +1′s excitement about Expo ’74. I anticipate that some video from Expo events and presentations will eventually be available, similar to last time. I’m sorry to report that the community workshops will likely not be part of that group. The planning of the events is already complex, and to guarantee good recordings in classroom spaces (that we have not used previously) is not something we’re comfortable promising. We are strongly considering similar, future events outside of the US. I hope you can understand our position.

Best,
Lilli

August 27, 2011 | 8:39 am

Lilli – how about if some of the participants were to audio or video record the workshops (even if it’s a static camera) and make the results available online?

August 27, 2011 | 9:43 am

Hi Guys,
Are there any plans to make full individual workshops available (via video) to purchase after the expo for those who can’t get there?

http://www.kaamnagreensikka.com

http://www.thepropmart.com

Ritika

August 29, 2011 | 6:29 pm

@david stevens
We have allowed audio recording (but not video) at past workshops. It’s not yet clear how we will approach the expo workshops, since they are a different kind of beast — taking place at a conference and not being taught by our staff.

Best,
Lilli

August 29, 2011 | 10:15 pm

So is David’s suggestion being considered as a serious possibility? It would be very disappointing for the non-US community to completely miss out on the content in these workshops.

I’m wary of how this might be interpreted, but it "feels" strange to me for a company so involved with the "multimedia" industry to not be able/willing to do this in 2011.

I’m sorry if that comes across as inflammatory, it’s not meant to be – I’m just an enthusiast of the kinds of expertise that these workshops are going to be dealing with.

Thanks for (hopefully) considering it,
- Tim

September 12, 2011 | 9:24 pm

Are there any new opinions/decisions about this from HQ?

September 12, 2011 | 10:05 pm

Why not actually use Max for this? Set up a computer with a webcam and use one jit.(qt).broadcast for the video and another jit.(qt).broadcast for the audio). Maybe even a Maxer present will be willing to do this on a laptop.

We could watch while patching :)

September 12, 2011 | 10:25 pm

Yeah, that’s exactly the kind of thing that should happen! :D

Complexity stems from the fact that the workshops require an expo ticket, which costs. So broadcasting for free probably would go against their ethos for the expo … I don’t know how difficult it would be to set up a Paypal based challenge-response payment system to allow people to "log-in" to the broadcast …

September 12, 2011 | 10:44 pm

Bummer, you got a point there.

t
September 13, 2011 | 10:28 am

Totally agree with what you’re saying guys. +1 for the videos!

September 18, 2011 | 4:16 pm

+1, would be great for those of us not based in the US.

Perhaps this is down to some of the individual exhibitors?

Also worth bearing in mind that events like these can be compiled into good reading material. There is a good book based on the school of sound lectures which exemplifies this approach.

September 20, 2011 | 7:37 pm

I would totally pay to see a broadcast.

September 20, 2011 | 7:57 pm

Definitely! The silence isn’t encouraging though :-/

September 21, 2011 | 2:41 am

+1 for Anthony’s idea.

September 26, 2011 | 9:00 pm

We appreciate everyone’s excitement about Expo ’74. For a number of practical reasons, we won’t be devoting any resources to live-streaming technology for this conference. For Expo 74, our primary goal is to get Max users into the same room, interacting and sharing ideas. To that end, we are devoting a lot of our workforce to organizing the conference and making appearances, despite also having a looming Max 6 release.

All that aside, I’d like to pass along some better news:
Phoenix Square presents M4_u European convention

Phoenix Square Arts and Digital Media Center is proud present Max 4 Users convention. Dedicated entirely to teaching, learning and sharing knowledge of Max/MSP/Jitter and Max4Live. The conference will include presentations, workshops, demonstrations and performances of projects either utilizing Max/MSP entirely, or in conjunction with other technology.

http://maxuk.wordpress.com/

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)