external applications

Apr 25, 2006 at 6:23am

external applications

I just finished my first big-ish patch in which I use Jack Pilot to re-route a feed from iTunes into Max… I was wondering if there is an object which would start up Jack Pilot and iTunes (or any other software) when I open my main patch (I know that I can open a browser via “max launchbrowser”)…
Hope this isn’t a stupid question.

While I’m at it… according to the help file and tutorial, when using sfrecord~ the recorded file should be safed in the same folder as your current patch… for some reason all my sfrecord files go into the max help file folder…

#25635
Apr 25, 2006 at 7:56am

On OSX: the [shell] object, with open messages, like “open
/Applications/iTunes.app”

_____________________________
Patrick Delges

Centre de Recherches et de Formation Musicales de Wallonie asbl

http://users.skynet.be/crfmw/max

#75673
Apr 25, 2006 at 9:38am

Martin Ritter wrote:
> I just finished my first big-ish patch in which I use Jack Pilot to
> re-route a feed from iTunes into Max… I was wondering if there is
> an object which would start up Jack Pilot and iTunes (or any other
> software) when I open my main patch (I know that I can open a browser
> via “max launchbrowser”)…

I used “;max launchbrowser” to open also other applications, try it by
providing the filepath as URL. Let us know if it works for you.

The other way would be applescript or shell, both 3rd party and probably
more complicated to set up.

> Hope this isn’t a stupid question.

Not at all…

Stefan

[][] [][][] [][] [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Stefan Tiedje
Klanggestalter
Electronic Composition
&
Improvisation

/~~~~~
\ /|() ()|
))))) )| | |( \
/// _/)/ )))))
___/ ///

————————-x—-
–_____———–|———–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()—-
– _|_)—-|—–()———–
———-()————x—–

14, Av. Pr. Franklin Roosevelt,
94320 Thiais, France
Phone at CCMIX +33-1-57 42 91 09

#75674
Apr 25, 2006 at 10:30am

25/04/06, kl. 11:38 +0200 , skrev Stefan Tiedje:

>I used “;max launchbrowser” to open also other applications, try it by
>providing the filepath as URL. Let us know if it works for you.
>
>The other way would be applescript or shell, both 3rd party and probably
>more complicated to set up.

it’s very easy to do with shell, just send it a message like ‘open -a
iTunes.app’

/J

#75675
Apr 25, 2006 at 3:09pm

At 9:56 AM +0200 4/25/06, Patrick Delges wrote:
>On 25 avr. 06, at 08:23, Martin Ritter wrote:
>
>>I was wondering if there is an object which would start up Jack
>>Pilot and iTunes (or any other software) when I open my main patch
>>(I know that I can open a browser via “max launchbrowser”)…
>
>On OSX: the [shell] object, with open messages, like “open
>/Applications/iTunes.app”

Also, you can use applescript to control Jack Pilot – someone has
created a prebuilt script to do it (see
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jackosx/message/1333 ), but if you need
the source I’m sure he would share it with you. I know there are 3rd
party ways to invoke applescript from within Max, just don’t have
those objects at the tip of my tongue (perhaps tap tools?).

Best,
Dan

Dan Nigrin
Defective Records
202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / OMS Convert / Jack OS X
http://www.defectiverecords.com

http://www.jackosx.com

#75676
Apr 25, 2006 at 5:58pm

> I used “;max launchbrowser” to open also other applications, try it by
> providing the filepath as URL. Let us know if it works for you.
>
> The other way would be applescript or shell, both 3rd party and probably
> more complicated to set up.
>
> > Hope this isn’t a stupid question.
>
> Not at all…
>
> Stefan

Do you mean something like this: ;max launchbrowser C://Applications/iTunes.app/ ??? Because when I do this I get an error massage saying: Max could not open URL. err= -666.

#75677
Apr 25, 2006 at 6:02pm

#75678
Apr 25, 2006 at 6:11pm

On 25 Apr 2006, at 19:02, Martin Ritter wrote:

> For the life of me I can’t find a shell object anywhere… Is this
> a third party object??

http://www.maxobjects.com.

nick rothwell — composition, systems, performance — http://
http://www.cassiel.com

#75679
Apr 25, 2006 at 9:22pm

On 25-avr.-06, at 19:58, Martin Ritter wrote:

> Do you mean something like this: ;max launchbrowser
> C://Applications/iTunes.app/ ??? Because when I do this I get an
> error massage saying: Max could not open URL. err= -666.

and also

> For the life of me I can’t find a shell object anywhere… Is this a
> third party object??

It is a 3rd party object, and it runs only on MacOSX. But it looks like
you are under Windows (so AppleScript solutions won’t work neither).
I think Topher Lafata did a [mxj] object that may help you, something
called sys_command or something? I don’t remember…

p

#75680
Apr 26, 2006 at 8:52am

#75681
Apr 26, 2006 at 10:38am

Martin Ritter wrote:
> Do you mean something like this: ;max launchbrowser
> C://Applications/iTunes.app/ ??? Because when I do this I get an
> error massage saying: Max could not open URL. err= -666.

I looked at my patch and the command (on a Mac though) looks like:
[; max launchbrowser "file:///Applications/Address Book.app/"]
to open my adressbook application. It seems it needs a file:// first. I
don’t know about the correct path if you want to launch from different
than the bootup disk. Do some experiments, I am interested in knowing
how you get along on a PC…

Stefan

[][] [][][] [][] [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Stefan Tiedje
Klanggestalter
Electronic Composition
&
Improvisation

/~~~~~
\ /|() ()|
))))) )| | |( \
/// _/)/ )))))
___/ ///

————————-x—-
–_____———–|———–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()—-
– _|_)—-|—–()———–
———-()————x—–

14, Av. Pr. Franklin Roosevelt,
94320 Thiais, France
Phone at CCMIX +33-1-57 42 91 09

#75682
Apr 26, 2006 at 11:31am

Okay, I’ve sorted it:

[Launchurl] accepted the following argument from a message box:
C://Programmer/D-Tools/daemon.exe

also:

C:/Programmer/D-Tools/daemon.exe

wicked. Still would like to get the dos thing up and running, but this would be enough to get my system running smoothly (basically just launching Ableton Live)

#75683
Apr 26, 2006 at 11:33am

> C:/Programmer/D-Tools/daemon.exe

I forgot to mention the main point – Note the forward slashes – these are back-slash in XP normally.

#75684
Apr 26, 2006 at 12:23pm

On 26-Apr-2006, at 13:33, Andreas Wetterberg wrote:
> I forgot to mention the main point – Note the forward slashes –
> these are back-slash in XP normally.

Backslashes mean something special in Max (as, indeed, is the case in
most C-related programming environments).

Read up on how Max handles file paths and the filepath objects. This
stuff is not surprising if you’ve had to deal with cross-platform
file naming issues before, but if you’re OS-monolinguistic there’s
some stuff that is Good To Know.

– P.

PS: Mixing C string syntax and MS-DOS file systems is not fun.
Depending on the level of parsing going on, sometimes paths would
have to be specified as “C:\\\\path\\\\more-path\\\
filename.ext” to get the desired result. No wonder some Windows
programmers turn pathological and invest so much energy in devising
viruses… !-}

————– http://www.bek.no/~pcastine/Litter/ ————-
Peter Castine +–> Litter Power & Litter Bundle for Jitter

iCE: Sequencing, Recording & |home | chez nous|
Interface Building for |bei uns | i nostri|
Max/MSP Extremely cool http://www.castine.de

http://www.dspaudio.com/

#75685
Apr 26, 2006 at 8:16pm

thank you all for your time and help. I really appreciate it.
[; max launchbrowser "file:///Applications/Address Book.app/"] worked for me.
Thanks

#75686
Apr 27, 2006 at 5:37am

I really wonder why you need a backup tool to run Ableton Live… Let’s
say : you bought it in your local store, then you made an .iso as backup
because you were affraid to lose it; or a friend gave you his copy, maybe ?

Andreas Wetterberg wrote:
> Okay, I’ve sorted it:
>
> [Launchurl] accepted the following argument from a message box:
> C://Programmer/D-Tools/daemon.exe
>
> also:
>
> C:/Programmer/D-Tools/daemon.exe
>
> wicked. Still would like to get the dos thing up and running, but this would be enough to get my system running smoothly (basically just launching Ableton Live)
>
>

#75687
Apr 27, 2006 at 9:22am

loading daemon was just for testing – it loads quickly, unlike my precious Live, which takes a bit.

Also, I was, and still is, having trouble with spaces in the link, so anything like /Ableton Live/ will not work.

#75688
Apr 27, 2006 at 10:14am

On 27-Apr-2006, at 11:22, Andreas Wetterberg wrote:
> Also, I was, and still is, having trouble with spaces in the link,
> so anything like /Ableton Live/ will not work.

Since you’re talking URLs, you should probably use URL syntax for
spaces: %20.

You have looked at the URL/URI spec, haven’t you?

– P.

————– http://www.bek.no/~pcastine/Litter/ ————-
Peter Castine +—> Litter Power & Litter Bundle for Jitter
Heavy-Duty Mathematics for Everyday Use
iCE: Sequencing, Recording &
Interface Building for |home | chez nous|
Max/MSP Extremely cool |bei uns | i nostri|
http://www.dspaudio.com/ http://www.castine.de

#75689
Apr 27, 2006 at 10:30am

On 27 Apr 2006, at 11:14, Peter Castine wrote:

> Since you’re talking URLs, you should probably use URL syntax for
> spaces: %20.
>
> You have looked at the URL/URI spec, haven’t you?

Actually, according to the W3 spec., “+” comes higher up in the BNF
(should that happen to confer preference). However, I’ve come across
numerous bits of software which understand “%20″ but not “+”.

– N.

nick rothwell — composition, systems, performance — http://
http://www.cassiel.com

#75690

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.