External Compiling Issue

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:29am

External Compiling Issue

Hello all.

I am having an issue getting the example externals to compile correctly when I change the project name. When I build an external from the examples folder, it runs fine. But when I build and run it after changing the project name to something else, it executes the initialization method (main) 5 times, and object appears in the patcher as if you typed an object that was not in Max’s search path (brown with a green border, and no inlets or outlets). This happens both on windows and mac, and is very similar to the issue addressed in the middle of this post:

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=23501

although I did not find a clear answer to the problem.

I would like to be able to change the project name so that I can make externals that are named something different than the max examples, but with the same settings.

The same error has occurred with Xcode 4.2.1 on OSX 10.7.2 Lion, Xcode 3.1.4 on OSX 10.5.8 Leopard, and Visual C++ 2010 Express on Windows 7. In all cases I was using either Max 5 or Max 6, and MaxSDK 5.1.7.

Here is the code for the patch that works:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Here is the code for the patch that doesn’t work:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Let me know if you know how to deal with this, or just how to get make an external with a custom name that functions properly some other way.

John Cassidy

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:09am

Hi,

I guess you’re posting to the wrong forum, there’s another forum which was created explicitly for external development questions: http://cycling74.com/forums/forum.php?id=5

With that said, can you confirm whether you changed the name of your object in your main function?

HTH,
Ádám

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:58am

I didn’t change anything in the code itself. And is that the “Dev” forum? I was wondering about that.. This is my first post. Can you change which forum your post is in after you create it?

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:13am

*slaps head* Of course. I tried changing the first (name) argument in the “class_new” function as you suggested, and it worked like a charm. Thanks Ádám.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.