External for loading tuning files into Max/MSP

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:11am

External for loading tuning files into Max/MSP

I just compiled a free external for loading .mtx tuning text files into Max/MSP (see attachment or use the following URL):

http://homepage.mac.com/cerullo/.Public/mtx_loader.zip

Consider it as a “variable mtof” object with a read feature that will correctly interpret the Max Magic Microtuner mtx format. It is OS X Universal Binary only at the moment, and still not 100% robust enough for all users but I have limited time for debugging/enhancing it, or compiling for other platforms. I will later post the source code to the Microtuner website for the benefit of those developers who have the willingness to improve it.

Regards,
Victor

#31014
Mar 25, 2007 at 8:18pm

Quote: newmoog@libero.it wrote on Sun, 25 March 2007 13:11
—————————————————-
> I just compiled a free external for loading .mtx tuning text files
> into Max/MSP (see attachment or use the following URL):
> http://homepage.mac.com/cerullo/.Public/mtx_loader.zip
—————————————————-

Hi Victor,

Thank you very much for this external, a great tool for microtuning anything-anywhere.

All mtx files saved with the latest Microtuner 1.6.0 are perfectly loaded with [mtx_loader].
(Some characters in the filepath could cause a crash.)

Thanks again!

Ciao,
Philippe

#100162
Mar 29, 2007 at 8:40pm

Thank you, Philippe. The actual source code is described here:

http://homepage.mac.com/cerullo/.Public/mtx_file_specs.htm

Regards,
Victor

#100163
Mar 30, 2007 at 1:55am

Quote: newmoog@libero.it wrote on Thu, 29 March 2007 22:40
—————————————————-
> The actual source code is described here:
> http://homepage.mac.com/cerullo/.Public/mtx_file_specs.htm
—————————————————-

Very useful. Thank you very much!

Philippe

#100164
Mar 30, 2007 at 3:43am

I’ve had a few crashes here and there, but it’s pretty great
otherwise. Thanks so much. Microtones!

On 3/25/07, newmoog wrote:
> I just compiled a free external for loading .mtx tuning text files into Max/MSP (see attachment or use the following URL):
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/cerullo/.Public/mtx_loader.zip
>
> Consider it as a “variable mtof” object with a read feature that will correctly interpret the Max Magic Microtuner mtx format. It is OS X Universal Binary only at the moment, and still not 100% robust enough for all users but I have limited time for debugging/enhancing it, or compiling for other platforms. I will later post the source code to the Microtuner website for the benefit of those developers who have the willingness to improve it.
>
> Regards,
> Victor
>
>
>
>
>

#100165
Mar 30, 2007 at 5:28am

> I’ve had a few crashes here and there, but it’s pretty great
> otherwise.

I guess there are some problems with the Max path detection part probably, or something else Max-specific in the code that needs to be addressed. I have very limited time for that so I posted the link to the Dev forum: you never know somebody can possibly analyse and improve it, or compile a Windows equivalent. If you have a common pattern in your crashes that would help isolating the root cause. I am already aware that some special characters in the pathname can make it crash, for instance.

Regards,
Victor

#100166
Mar 30, 2007 at 5:46am

It crashes when I load an mtx file, but it’s hard to find any repeat
offenders. I’ll let you know if I can make any sense out of the
crashing.

Thanks,
Keith

On 3/30/07, newmoog wrote:
>
> > I’ve had a few crashes here and there, but it’s pretty great
> > otherwise.
>
> I guess there are some problems with the Max path detection part probably, or something else Max-specific in the code that needs to be addressed. I have very limited time for that so I posted the link to the Dev forum: you never know somebody can possibly analyse and improve it, or compile a Windows equivalent. If you have a common pattern in your crashes that would help isolating the root cause. I am already aware that some special characters in the pathname can make it crash, for instance.
>
> Regards,
> Victor
>
>

#100167
Mar 30, 2007 at 4:35pm

Quote: keithmanlove wrote on Fri, 30 March 2007 07:46
—————————————————-
> It crashes when I load an mtx file, but it’s hard to find any
> repeat offenders. I’ll let you know if I can make any sense
> out of the crashing.
—————————————————-

Happened here too when a bullet character was in a filepath.
(Could be my setup only)
Some other crashes with some mtx files saved with an older version of MMMicrotuner.

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 …xmagicmicrotuner.mtx_loader 0x06bd5218 mtx_loader_expand + 1212 (mtx_loader.c:76)
1 …xmagicmicrotuner.mtx_loader 0x06bd5718 mtx_loader_read + 1248 (mtx_loader.c:154)

Loaded and saved again with v1.6.0 has solved this problem.

Cheers,
Philippe

#100168
Mar 30, 2007 at 7:55pm

> Thread 0 Crashed:
> 0 …xmagicmicrotuner.mtx_loader 0x06bd5218 mtx_loader_expand + 1212 (mtx_loader.c:76)
> 1 …xmagicmicrotuner.mtx_loader 0x06bd5718 mtx_loader_read + 1248 (mtx_loader.c:154)

> Loaded and saved again with v1.6.0 has solved this problem.

Looks like a division by zero. Are you on PPC or Intel? Were there any zeros in the middle of the scale that crashed? I’d like to correct the problem if it relates to the expansion algorithm at least (that should be easy to fix). At the same time I’m also thinking of enhancing the object itself as I’d like to have a couple of additional outlets to be used as a min/max frequency reference for a scale-relative pitch-bend.

Regards,
Victor

#100169
Apr 1, 2007 at 3:14am

>> Thread 0 Crashed:
>> 0 …xmagicmicrotuner.mtx_loader 0x06bd5218 mtx_loader_expand +
>> 1212 (mtx_loader.c:76)
>> 1 …xmagicmicrotuner.mtx_loader 0x06bd5718 mtx_loader_read + 1248
>> (mtx_loader.c:154)
>
>> Loaded and saved again with v1.6.0 has solved this problem.
>
> Looks like a division by zero. Are you on PPC or Intel?

PPC.

> Were there any zeros in the middle of the scale that crashed?

I don’t think so. It crashed with scales whose number of notes per
octave was greater than 12.

Philippe

#100170
Apr 1, 2007 at 4:09pm

Thanks for your feedback, Philippe: I believe I fixed a couple of bugs (including your pathname problem), so please find enclosed version 1.1. Or just click on:

http://homepage.mac.com/cerullo/.Public/mtx_loader_1.1.zip

This version also has a new feature to dump the frequency keymap to a coll object. Please let me know how it goes when you have a minute to test it.

Regards,
Victor

#100171
Apr 2, 2007 at 1:41am

Quote: newmoog@libero.it wrote on Sun, 01 April 2007 18:09
—————————————————-
> I fixed a couple of bugs (including your pathname problem)
> http://homepage.mac.com/cerullo/.Public/mtx_loader_1.1.zip
>
> This version also has a new feature to dump the frequency
> keymap to a coll object. Please let me know how it goes when
> you have a minute to test it.
—————————————————-

Hi Victor,

All characters in a filepath and all loaded mtx scales are correctly handled: no crash anymore.
(OS X.4.9)

Direct dump of the freq keymap into a coll is a great feature.
The same but in cents would be very useful too!

Thanks again for this great piece of code!
Philippe

#100172
Apr 3, 2007 at 11:06am

test

#100173
Apr 3, 2007 at 11:09am

> Direct dump of the freq keymap into a coll is a great feature.
> The same but in cents would be very useful too!

Agree: I just added a MIDI cent list dump feature to version 1.2 of mtx_loader. You can download it here:

http://homepage.mac.com/cerullo/.Public/mtx_loader_1.2.zip

Or just grab the attachment.

Regards,
Victor

#100174
Apr 3, 2007 at 6:52pm

Quote: newmoog@libero.it wrote on Tue, 03 April 2007 13:09
—————————————————-
> > Direct dump of the freq keymap into a coll is a great feature.
> > The same but in cents would be very useful too!
>
> Agree: I just added a MIDI cent list dump feature to version
> 1.2 of mtx_loader. You can download it here:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/cerullo/.Public/mtx_loader_1.2.zip
—————————————————-
Thanks Victor, very useful!

And all work fine here, no more bug or crash to report.

Thanks again,
Philippe

#100175
Apr 4, 2007 at 7:30pm

Good; in the meantime I uploaded a new version of mtx_loader at the following URL (also attached here):

http://homepage.mac.com/cerullo/.Public/mtx_loader_1.3.zip

Version 1.3 adds support for the transpose feature that somebody else requested privately through the Microtuner list. I hope both the new “retune” and the “cent transpose” features work fine, and I’d like to get some feedback about them especially when used to transpose unusual scales (like a Partch 43 for instance), stretched tunings etc.

This because the next step of the mtx_loader object will be an analysis on how to obtain scale-specific pitch bend and modulation with it, for use in a polyphonic synth architecture. So I’d like it to be as stable as possible in its present form before going any further.

Regards,
Victor

#100176
Apr 9, 2007 at 9:08am

Please note I compiled a new object called “microtuner” which represents the evolution of mtx_loader; you’ll find more details on this in the new thread “microtuner external for Max/MSP”.

Regards,
Victor

#100177
Apr 15, 2007 at 4:15pm

Just compiled both the Mtx_loader and Microtuner objects for Windows using the Cygwin gcc compiler. To sum up, all the latest versions of these microtuning externals for both platforms and related downloads can be found here:

Mtx_loader external object (version 1.4)

Mac version (OS X Universal Binary):

http://homepage.mac.com/cerullo/.Public/mtx_loader_14_mac.zip

Windows version:

http://homepage.mac.com/cerullo/.Public/mtx_loader_14_win.zip

Microtuner external object (version 1.1)

Mac version (OS X Universal Binary):

http://homepage.mac.com/cerullo/.Public/microtuner_11_mac.zip

Windows version:

http://homepage.mac.com/cerullo/.Public/microtuner_11_win.zip

The Mtx scale archive (3,400+ tuning files):

http://homepage.mac.com/cerullo/.Public/MTX_Archive_v2.zip

Mtx file specifications, sample programs, source code of both objects, etc.:

http://homepage.mac.com/cerullo/.Public/mtx_file_specs.htm

Regards,
Victor

#100178
Jan 13, 2014 at 5:13am

Hi Victor!
great stuff!
can you re-upload it somewhere?
the stuff is no more available.

many thanks

a.

#278073

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.