Extracting frequency and X Y Z information from Audio

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:04am

Extracting frequency and X Y Z information from Audio

Hello,

I am new to max but am on an ambitious journey – I am trying to visualize audio in 3D space. So far there there seems to be several components involved but one I would like to do is to extract the different frequencies and distribute over say 20 bands, and also extract the difference in delay to represent the distance of an object relative to the listener source.

First, what’s the best way to extract the frequency? I am looking at FFT but not sure how to get this data out to a number box for example.

Next, I am using the ambi.rotate object for spatialization of the sound but not sure it’s working right. Maybe I need to also FFt it before.

Last, I am using the atroid patch as a template to help my visualization, but not sure if this is an intellegent direction to go.

Can you help? Please bear in mind I am unfamiliar with alot of terms and object in MAX?MSP Jitter but very eager to learn. Plus it’s crucial for my thesis which I am a few weeks behind.

Thanks in advance,

AlliMax

Apr 7, 2008 at 8:05am

Quote: AlliMax wrote on Mon, 07 April 2008 02:04
—————————————————-
> Hello,
>
> I am new to max but am on an ambitious journey – I am trying to visualize audio in 3D space. So far there there seems to be several components involved but one I would like to do is to extract the different frequencies and distribute over say 20 bands, and also extract the difference in delay to represent the distance of an object relative to the listener source.
>
> First, what’s the best way to extract the frequency? I am looking at FFT but not sure how to get this data out to a number box for example.

I really like the pitch~ object:

http://cnmat.berkeley.edu/downloads

>
> Next, I am using the ambi.rotate object for spatialization of the sound but not sure it’s working right. Maybe I need to also FFt it before.
>
> Last, I am using the atroid patch as a template to help my visualization, but not sure if this is an intellegent direction to go.
>
> Can you help? Please bear in mind I am unfamiliar with alot of terms and object in MAX?MSP Jitter but very eager to learn. Plus it’s crucial for my thesis which I am a few weeks behind.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> AlliMax
—————————————————-

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.