Forums > MaxMSP

Extracting/Translating Parts of a MIDI Message

August 31, 2013 | 3:36 pm

I’m trying to write a patch that takes MIDI Sysex / MSC commands and tells me what cue list and cue is being fired. I need to somehow extract the [command number] from the following string:

F0 7F [device_ID] 02 01 [command] [command_number] F7

Any tips or examples would be much appreciated.

September 2, 2013 | 3:15 am

You can use [zl nth] if it’s single integer of a known list length. If the list length varies or the command number is more than one integer, there are other approaches.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

September 2, 2013 | 9:54 am

Thanks for this. The command number will likely be more than one integer and the length will vary from scenario to scenario.

September 2, 2013 | 1:23 pm

Play around with the family of [zl] objects… they are perfect for this sort of thing. You’ll need to customize your approach depending on the situation.

Nat
September 3, 2013 | 10:39 am

the match object can also be useful:

<code>

</code>

September 4, 2013 | 10:13 am

Realizing this is hacked together here’s what I have thus far:

<code>

</code>

I realize I need to go down the [zl] route as opposed to unpack. The examples have been very helpful thus far but here’s what I’m running into. I need to extract the 7th integer through the end of the message which ends with 7F (the message will always vary in length). Furthermore, I need to translate these numbers into simple cue and cuelist numbers. Here’s an explanation of what I’ll see as my incoming commands:

In terms of cues, the device can potentially deal with all the available cues, so this gets a bit tricky since hexadecimal doesn’t deal with decimals. The numbering scheme then is not hexadecimal.
Three simple rules:
1. Place a "3" in front of every digit of the number.
2. Place a "2E" wherever there is a decimal.
3. Place a "00" when separating a cue number from a cue list.
This can be represented by:
On the device: Cue xy/ab.c
In Hexadecimal: 3a 3b 2E 3c 00 3x 3y
Cue number examples:
On the device: Cue 1/54
In Hexadecimal: 35 34 00 31
On the device: Cue 4/101
In Hexadecimal: 31 30 31 00 34
On the device: Cue 10/55.6
In Hexadecimal: 35 35 2E 36 00 31 30

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)