Forums > Jitter

Fading Particle Gridshapes

January 9, 2013 | 7:07 pm

Hi All,

New to using particles in Jitter. I have a simple patch which emits particle spheres using gridshape. I’d like to play with having them fade over their life, as opposed to just disappearing suddenly at end of life.

I’d also like to maybe have them start with a specific color , then change color to an ending color over their life.

Would be cool to have them scale down over life as well.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Any ideas or examples of these specific functions would be awesome. I’m new to this area of jitter so the examples and recipes are a bit hard to parse for individual attribute controls as I’m looking to do. i.e. Just modifying my patch here to fade the particles over time.

Thanks!

January 9, 2013 | 7:28 pm

something like this works:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

January 9, 2013 | 9:00 pm

valentin, there’s a bug in your patch. you forgot the @ symbol for the blend_enable attribute.
with blend_enable on, you can simply map the life-time inversely to alpha, for a fade out effect.

January 9, 2013 | 11:45 pm

Hi Robert.

That idea makes sense =) Not sure how the life-time value is obtained for each particle. Still getting my head around how this works.

Also wondering how to control the velocity of the particles being emitted at any point in time – i.e. how do I make them emit and move slowly, then have bursts of activity with more particles, moving faster based on changing one of the attributes.

Thanks!

January 10, 2013 | 7:58 pm

you are already retrieving the current life value in the patch you posted.
it’s the second plane of the output particle matrix (first being particle id, and next 3 being position).

to change the emission velocity, you have to tweak parameters like speed, emit, force, and their corresponding _var parameters.

beyond that, you can bypass p.vishnu, and instead create your own force system.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)