Failed attempts to control Cuemix FX via OSC

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:12am

Failed attempts to control Cuemix FX via OSC

I tried to get Cuemix controlled via osc, as it is possible to do that with TouchOSC, I thought it should work easily. But it doesn’t…

Thats what I tried: First I analyzed the osc messages from the Motu cuemix touchosc template.
TouchOsc is sending for example this message for the first slider:

/bin/fvEB+0/fvInCS+0/cdf 0.497549

I connected TouchOSC to Cuemix, and TouchOSC is telling me its sending on port 53497.

Then I tried to send the above message to the ip of my Macbook (code at the end of the post)
I also tried localhost and a broadcast 255.255.255.255…
But Cuemix does not move the slider…

I have no idea why this is failing…
There is also some kind of handshaking between TouchOSC and Cuemix happening. But I don’t know what how it is happening there.
TouchOSC does see Cuemix as Host, but it does not see Max as host. The host is delivering the information about the ports to TouchOSC.
In Cuemix I do see my iPad as TouchOSC device. I want to make it think my Maxpatch is a TouchOSC device as well… But how to achieve this…?

Has anybody got a cuemix control of any kind working? (The HUI Protocol might be an option as well…)

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:43am

Hi Stefan,

I am using Max to establish a OSC connection to CueMixFX and control volumes of all busses with a MIDI controller: http://blog.sebastian-arnold.net/2013/11/a-portable-digital-mixing-desk-with-maxmsp/

If you want to dig deeper, you will have to check the OSC messages in the TouchOSC templates of the MOTU driver (see http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50984). I have attached an example patch that uses osctools. Hope it works!

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

Sebastian

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:12am

Hey,
This is very interesting for some motu devices owners :) thanks for the infos !

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:57pm

Hey,
i’m trying to dig into this at the moment, and can’t understand several things…
*i don’t have touchOSC, apparently it’s used because it has a built-in template for communicating with CueMix right ? this template that “sc7″ at that motunation thread reverse engineered and which is there http://pastehtml.com/view/cdh38i82b.rtxt, is that it ?
*so, one has to set CueMix in “OSC enabled” mode, but how ?…
*on which channel does CueMix send osc informations ?
Thanks, hoping someone will find it (i see dhjdhjdhj took part in that motunation conversation, maybe if he reads that… aaah, if only there was some kind of private messaging system…)

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:23pm

Ok, so i just updated my motu softwares and voilà ! there is an osc enable option in cuemix fx (menu “control surfaces”). I should be going better now. Will report later if it works.

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:30pm

What do the zeroconf objects do in Sarnold’s patch ? i’m lost ! .. i can receive osc messages from CueMix, but had no luck sending any of them.

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:33pm

i also don’t understand what is meant by the “HACK NEEDED” paragraph……….

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:25pm

It works !….

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:39pm

I just got a roughly working connection from my Fostex MixTAB Midi controler to the CueMix controlling a Motu UltraLite mkIII hybrid with the below project. For your own needs just replace the mtlin subpatcher with your own connection to your controller.
This is far from being ready, not all potentiometers are connected yet, but (hopefully) you get the idea…
The patch has to act as if it is a TouchOSC on an iPad. The feedback from CueMix only happens if CueMix assumes a specific view on the iPad. This is unnecessarily difficult, but MotU seems to think along “why easy if it could be complicated…;-)”

MixTAB2CueMix

have fun…

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:23pm

hah, so that explains the necessity of the zeroconfs objects to declare as a “touchOSC like” device name ? btw i got it to work, modifiying Sarnold’s patch ; i found it just right before the gig ;)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.