Forums > MaxMSP

Favorite branch of the max paradigm?

September 24, 2006 | 6:22 am

What is your favorite message/signal you like working with? Personally, I’ve always loved Max and have never really cared for MSP or Jitter.. I find Max to be the answer to my musical problems and use it daily and have been for the past 2 years. I understand MSP and may get around to it sometime soon. Jitter seems like a far off vacation but I may try that too since I love the overall application so much.

So, my vote is for the Max side of things.


September 24, 2006 | 6:47 am

Jitter. Particularly OpenGL, and .. Ive really begun to appreciate
the subtleties of srcdim/destdim and named matrix feedback. So much
to do.

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info

On Sep 24, 2006, at 2:22 AM, James Aldridge wrote:

>
> What is your favorite message/signal you like working with?
> Personally, I’ve always loved Max and have never really cared for
> MSP or Jitter.. I find Max to be the answer to my musical problems
> and use it daily and have been for the past 2 years. I understand
> MSP and may get around to it sometime soon. Jitter seems like a
> far off vacation but I may try that too since I love the overall
> application so much.
>
> So, my vote is for the Max side of things.


September 24, 2006 | 9:29 pm

hum… it becomes difficult for me to disassociate one from another, eventhough my personnal interests reside in sound , jitter is a great tool to generate it. Max being the Mummy, i cant live without her…;)


September 24, 2006 | 9:57 pm

jitter without max and msp is like a cheese and pickle sandwich
without the bread.

On Sep 24, 2006, at 10:29 PM, karl-otto von wrote:

>
> hum… it becomes difficult for me to disassociate one from
> another, eventhough my personnal interests reside in sound , jitter
> is a great tool to generate it. Max being the Mummy, i cant live
> without her…;)


September 25, 2006 | 12:15 am

I think the single *coolest* thing that the evolution of max/msp embraced
was the ability to ‘open out’ onto other languages and music-programming
approaches. Much credit goes to jkc, darwin grosse, and the whole snazzy
cycling band for building an SDK that allows this. In my classes, I can
teach RTcmix, Csound, JSyn, CM/CLM, ChucK, LISP, Java, OpenGL… all by
simply throwing up a few max/msp objects and going from there. And then
you get all the other fun and interface stuff out there! Whoo-hooo! And
all these languages can be interconnected!

Jeez, it’s like computer-music hack heaven. I like being able to think
code in alternative ways.

brad (who’s apparently in a happy mood tonight…)

http://music.columbia.edu/~brad


September 25, 2006 | 12:42 am

are we "voting" now at the forum?
what comes next? a pet zoo where you are brought into when you lost your mom?


September 25, 2006 | 1:37 am

On a side topic, is there a windows version of the max
LISP object?

Anthony

—– Original Message —–
From: "Bradford Garton"
To:
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2006 7:15 PM
Subject: Re: [maxmsp] Re: Favorite branch of the max paradigm?

> I think the single *coolest* thing that the evolution of max/msp embraced
> was the ability to ‘open out’ onto other languages and music-programming
> approaches. Much credit goes to jkc, darwin grosse, and the whole snazzy
> cycling band for building an SDK that allows this. In my classes, I can
> teach RTcmix, Csound, JSyn, CM/CLM, ChucK, LISP, Java, OpenGL… all by
> simply throwing up a few max/msp objects and going from there. And then
> you get all the other fun and interface stuff out there! Whoo-hooo! And
> all these languages can be interconnected!
>
> Jeez, it’s like computer-music hack heaven. I like being able to think
> code in alternative ways.
>
> brad (who’s apparently in a happy mood tonight…)
> http://music.columbia.edu/~brad


September 25, 2006 | 2:39 am

Unfortunately no… it actually shouldn’t be too hard to compile, as the
CLISP code that I used is also set up to run under Windows. I need to get
some of the thread/priority stuff sorted out, though — right now it’s a
fairly brittle object to use (although it is usable if you are careful!).

Source is all on-line if anyone is seriously interested.

brad

http://music.columbia.edu/~brad

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Anthony Palomba wrote:

> On a side topic, is there a windows version of the max
> LISP object?
>
>
>
> Anthony
>
>


September 25, 2006 | 4:00 am

MOM?

*cries*

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info

On Sep 24, 2006, at 8:42 PM, Roman Thilenius wrote:

>
> are we "voting" now at the forum?
> what comes next? a pet zoo where you are brought into when you lost
> your mom?


September 25, 2006 | 4:46 am

Typical Roman response. Stop being such a cynical weenie and vote you commie bastard.

James


September 25, 2006 | 5:48 pm

Quote: Dr_Sbaitso wrote on Sun, 24 September 2006 22:46
—————————————————-
> Typical Roman response. Stop being such a cynical weenie and vote you commie bastard.
>
> James
—————————————————-

"I have the feeling, dear world dictator, that you are going to live the rest of your days as a nightmare because the rest of us are standing up, all those who are rising up against American imperialism, who are shouting for equality, for respect, for the sovereignty of nations.
Yes, you can call us extremists, but we are rising up against the empire, against the model of domination."

-Chavez 110


September 25, 2006 | 9:10 pm

what the fuck does that have to do with y…… MOM?… WHERES MOMMY?

*cries*

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info

On Sep 25, 2006, at 1:48 PM, Roman Thilenius wrote:

>
> Quote: Dr_Sbaitso wrote on Sun, 24 September 2006 22:46
> —————————————————-
>> Typical Roman response. Stop being such a cynical weenie and vote
>> you commie bastard.
>>
>> James
> —————————————————-
>
>
> "I have the feeling, dear world dictator, that you are going to
> live the rest of your days as a nightmare because the rest of us
> are standing up, all those who are rising up against American
> imperialism, who are shouting for equality, for respect, for the
> sovereignty of nations.
> Yes, you can call us extremists, but we are rising up against the
> empire, against the model of domination."
>
>
> -Chavez 110
>
>


Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)