Forums > MaxMSP

Feature Request: Open/Edit Linked Subpatchers

December 17, 2008 | 5:59 am

It would be really great if there were a simple way to open say a poly~ or pfft~ subpatch for editing by double clicking on the parent poly~ or pfft~ object (I’m going through the FFT tutorials and it can be a pain to go track down the pfft~ patches to toy around with.)

-ms

December 17, 2008 | 6:25 am

Quote: MuShoo wrote on Tue, 16 December 2008 21:59
—————————————————-
> It would be really great if there were a simple way to open say a poly~ or pfft~ subpatch for editing by double clicking on the parent poly~ or pfft~ object (I’m going through the FFT tutorials and it can be a pain to go track down the pfft~ patches to toy around with.)
>
> -ms
—————————————————-

Well for poly~ you can right click and go to Object -> Open Original

Not sure why it doesn’t work for pfft~ though.

Here’s another trick. Double click to open the patch as usual. Then hold down the alt key while you click the title bar of the patch. It will give you a drop down showing you the current patch and all it’s parents. If you select the current patch (the bottom one), it will open the original patch and then you can edit it. This works for both poly~ and pfft~.

December 20, 2008 | 10:03 pm

December 21, 2008 | 8:25 pm

Quote: stefantiedje wrote on Sat, 20 December 2008 14:03
—————————————————-
>
> And there is also Modify Read-Only, which is maybe what was requested…
>

Holy cow! I’ve been stuck with my Max 4 habits all these months.

Thanks for reintroducing me to this feature, it’s a huge workflow improvement. I vaguely remember reading about Modify Read-Only in the "what’s new" section, but it didn’t sink in and then I forgot about it. I can’t be the only one who missed this…

Although the name makes sense, looking through the menus it’s not self-evident what it does unless you already know what it’s for. Perhaps a different term like "edit abstraction" would make more sense? Really though, the best thing would be to let me edit the patch as usual without selecting this option. If it’s necessary to explicitly go into this MRO mode, then maybe the user could be prompted when clicking the edit button ("do you want to edit this patch in place?" or something like that). Or have an MRO button next to the edit button when appropriate.

BTW there’s a confusing typo: if I search in the help for "modify read-only" a Vignette called "inplace edits" comes up that says twice this feature is located under the Edit menu, but it’s in the File menu.

Anyway, *great* feature, just think it could be made more obvious for the unenlightened.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)