few thoughts about the clumsy pattr object

Jun 17, 2012 at 5:09am

few thoughts about the clumsy pattr object

Hello,

I am learning about preset management objects in MAX and I am maybe missing something, but are the wires going from [pattr] object really bidirectional?
I thought that we have data flowing from outlets to inlets and I find the way the [pattr] object works really confusing + it also makes it quite useless in some cases. For example, when building some GUI my own way (not using the basic GUI objects, but LCD object + some logic around it, it’s sometimes a different place (inlet) where I want to recall value and different place (outlet) from where i want the values to be stored.

Seems to me, that having [pattr-in ] and [pattr-out ] objects separately would be much more reasonable. More useful + it would be much more intuitive to have data flow only from outlets into inlets. I can see, that replacing the [pattr] object would not be possible at this point, but maybe just adding a separate objects for storing and recalling would still make sense?

what do you think?

Jun 17, 2012 at 9:57am

For clarity (pattr object as an alias) you may use the @bindto attribute instead of wire connection.

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:33am

You can also use pattr’s inlet and first outlet to set and get the value.
But beware of feedback loops, because pattr will immediately output the value it receives.

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:12am

thanks

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:49pm

I would use bindto or better yet, use [autopattr] if you only need to store it in the GUI object. Then you can simply set by scripting name from [pattrforward].

Interestingly, [pattr] has a check against stack overflow, which was interesting to learn:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.