FFT binshift

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:39pm

FFT binshift

Does anyone know how to make a binshift effect inside pfft~?
I know there is fbinshift~, but I would like to do more advanced binshifting.
I would like to be able for instance to, how do I say this, invert or scramble the bins, instead of only shift them.
Should be possible, right?

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:40pm

The trick is that the bins are sent out of fftin~ from lowest to highest. If you want to process them in a different order (or your process requires you have access to all the bins at once) you will need to buffer one FFT frame and then use that data to generate output during the next FFT frame—see my recent post in this thread (http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=37756#post-185659) for a discussion on this being the reason I prefer working with FFT in C these days.

Here is an example that does inversion of the spectrum for you to take a look at:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

This patch uses a pfft~ abstraction named rm.fft.flip~

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Stay tuned for some externals I have for doing the types of things you are talking about that will be ready for release sometime in April.

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:50pm

You’ll find a few enjoyable baubles in the PeRColate collection (see http://www.maxobjects.com).

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:49pm

Thanks Roth. It works pretty nice!
The only part I don’t understand is the scaling just before [index~].

I think I understand I need a delay of half the FFT size, because it has to analyze the audio below Nyquist first,
before I can reorder it. (maybe I’m wrong here already..)
But I don’t understand the calculations after the [delay~].
Can you please explain?

Dave

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:33pm

I think I understand I need a delay of half the FFT size, because it has to analyze the audio below Nyquist first,
before I can reorder it. (maybe I’m wrong here already..)

You are right. To do this kind of bin processing, we need to use a buffer~ that has the size of the FFT size (n). This is because we are only dealing with the n/2 bins per FFT frame; we will be writing new FFT data into one half of the buffer~ #1-workspace while reading the previous frame’s data for processing and output in the current frame. You are correct that count~ is used as the write index and delayed n/2 to be used in the calculation to get the read pointer.

buffer~ #1-flip contains sample values describing the order (from lowest to highest) of the bins to be used for output (these values are between 0 and n/2-1). The index from fftin~ reads this positions to get the output order (in this example, you could substitue index~ #1-flip with calculations to flip the phasor output from fftin~, but this example using index~ is useful to see how you could get other ordering. To get the appropriate samples indexes to read from buffer~ #1-flip, we need to add 0 or n/2 to index the half of the buffer that is not currently being written to. We do this with the calculations after the delay~.

• If we divide the output of count~ by 2, we get a ramp from 0 to n/2, so that while count is writing to the first half of the buffer the delayed version is ramping from n/4 to n/2-1 and when count~ is writing to the second half of the buffer the delayed version is ramping from 0 to n/4-1.
  • Then by rounding to the nearest increment of n/2, we get a value that is n/2 when count~ is writing to the first half of the buffer and 0 when count~ is writing to the second half of the buffer.
  • By adding this with the output of index~ #1-flip the bin indices in buffer~ #1-flip will be scaled to index into the correct half of buffer~ #1-workspace.

In the pfft~ abstraction the typed in arguments are for n = 4096.

I haven’t used this patch or pfft~ in a while, but looking at this patch I’m wondering if the arguments to count~ should be 0 4095 1 1. I never had a problems with the way this patch is, but maybe I changed it in versions I actually used in performance. Let me think about that and get back to you.

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:03pm

Thanks for the explanation.
I totally understand now. Great..

I’m interested in your externals coming out later by the way.
I would like to do some more of this FFT stuff.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.