Forums > MaxMSP

File Browsing within a patch – Not the new file browser.

June 7, 2009 | 9:36 pm

I’m interested in what people are doing to browse files within their patches. I’m not talking about the new File browser in Max 5.0, because you can’t actually pull data from it except by dragging and dropping. I’m talking about things like the JSUI filebrowser, or using Umenu in little tiers.
I’ve been stuck on the stupid tiering menus method for a while, but in trying to create an interface for the "real world" of people who aren’t max users, I’d really like just a plain old file browser that makes sense.
Are people custom coding file browsers?

Ch
June 7, 2009 | 10:07 pm

Hi,

I’m not sure I understood correctly.
Did you have a look to [opendialog] ?

Ch.

June 8, 2009 | 9:16 am

Let me clarify that as "ways to browse and open files without completely interrupting whatever is going on in a patch."
In a perfect world, I’d be able to actually browse files and load one into a quicktime object without any frames being dropped or pausing of playback. Since simply browsing and loading isn’t Jitter specific, I wanted to include everyone on this. But in a specific sense I need to be able to load a file in one portion of a patch, without putting everything else on hold.
I find it interesting that the ability to better search and browse files was something that seemed necessary for Max as an programming environment, but didn’t register as something people would want for their own applications created within it.

June 8, 2009 | 1:32 pm

hi,

did you check the autopopulate feature of umenu ?
maybe it’s what your looking for.

g

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)