Forums > MaxMSP

file preferences in runtime

March 16, 2007 | 2:06 pm

Hi

Are there any issues I should know about re file preferences in runtime? I’m building a patch for a installation – several distinct folders of soundfiles residing on a (fast) external disk…

Runtime doesn’t have a File Preferences menu; do I just need to specify the full path within the patch to load the files into ubumenus?

Does the patch need to be on the external disk too?

Should there be aliases to the external disk in the Max folder?

Are the issues the same if I build a standalone?

thanks

Alistair

March 16, 2007 | 2:47 pm

Quote: alistair macdonald wrote on Fri, 16 March 2007 15:06
—————————————————-
> Hi
>
> Are there any issues I should know about re file preferences in runtime? I’m building a patch for a installation – several distinct folders of soundfiles residing on a (fast) external disk…
>
> Runtime doesn’t have a File Preferences menu; do I just need to specify the full path within the patch to load the files into ubumenus?

File Preferences is simply a patch that you could include in one of your custom menu items. The preferences folder that has a name specified in the standalone object does only store audio and midi prefences and such. You could add custom stuff to that, as the location of those preferences are easily found. So is the full path to the application (with the sendapppath message to max for instance). You could also use that location to store in and read from a textfile custom preferences such as the location of a specific folder. If the next time you run the app and it doesnt find it, open a dialog and let the user locate it. Doing this kind of stuff requires a lot of trial and error, is my experience. Don’t give up too soon. Basically anything is possible.

_
johan

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)