filling~ buffer with folder and umenu

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:22pm

filling~ buffer with folder and umenu

having a bit of trouble working out how to choose files to load into a buffer using a umenu, folder and drop file.

figured prepending a read message with the output of the unmenu would do it but it dont.

could anyone help?

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

[attachment=174993,2812]

Attachments:
  1. folder.jpg
Nov 2, 2011 at 6:36pm

Hi,

first, you have to send the [umenu] directly into the [buffer~] , but I guess you know that.

Then need you folder in Max’s radar (search path).
because you just send a relative path to [buffer~] so it can’t find the file on your hard disk.

Unless the folder is located next to your patcher, you have to add the folder to max’s search patch using “options/file preferences”

olivier

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:49pm

thats worked out great. for a long time i have heard people mention the max search path and i thought it meant everything in the max folder, didnt realise you could choose other folders without having them in the max folder. great help cheers.

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:58pm

so i figured adding my sample library as a user file path would be a good idea but its crashing max, maxforlive and ableton.

is adding large folders of large files a bad idea? this folder is only 16gig, and clearly its not ‘moving’ the whole folder, its just looking at it right?

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:07pm

its ok, just needed a bit of time to sort itself out. ignore me.

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:39pm

I am glad I could help ;)

olivier

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:22pm

so i made a drum player using 16 sfplays~ and 16 folder objects to drag folders of kicks and snares into it so change different sounds, saved it im am ableton set, then when i reloaded it the sound had gone and i had to drop them in again. do i need to tell a patch using folder object to remember the path?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.