Forums > MaxMSP

Filter Sweeps with drum patterns.

January 16, 2007 | 7:30 pm

When doing a filter sweep (using low pass, high pass etc) with drum patterns what sort of a frequency range would you guys recommend?

I.e. Is it worth be bothering above 10,000hz and below 20hz and what max and min points could be better in your opinion?

Does it differ for different types of filters such as bandstop, resonant and lowshelf?

Thanking you in advance,

Rhys

January 16, 2007 | 7:44 pm

> When doing a filter sweep (using low pass, high pass etc) with drum patterns what sort of a frequency range would you guys recommend?

One that matches the frequency range of whatever drums you’re
using. Sweeping through a frequency range where there isn’t
any spectral energy won’t do you much good.

January 16, 2007 | 7:46 pm

Quote: Dr. Spankenstein wrote on Tue, 16 January 2007 12:30
—————————————————-
> When doing a filter sweep (using low pass, high pass etc) with drum patterns what sort of a frequency range would you guys recommend?
>
> I.e. Is it worth be bothering above 10,000hz and below 20hz and what max and min points could be better in your opinion?
>
> Does it differ for different types of filters such as bandstop, resonant and lowshelf?
>
> Thanking you in advance,
>
> Rhys
—————————————————-

personally, i would use my ears!

but as a general rule it’s probably not worth going below 20hz, unless u make beats for ur cat / dog / bat / whale / dolphin.
and likewise not much point in going above 22Khz…

unless ur uber anal and want to process sounds beyond the human hearing range – the rationale being that sounds beyond our hearing range have an inpact on what we actually hear…

and finally, filters respond differently according to their input… (for instance) why would u want to filter frequencies which dont exist in the input signal!?

January 16, 2007 | 7:47 pm

gregory beat me to it!

January 16, 2007 | 7:49 pm

gregory beat me to it!

January 16, 2007 | 8:59 pm

5k – 20k is transient info (attacks)
very effective for drums

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)