Forums > MaxMSP

fingerprint scanner???


k
January 20, 2008 | 10:20 pm

hey everyone.
just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. i’m trying to build an installation which will scan a user’s fingerprint then produce sounds and visuals based on the patterns of their fingerprint.
i tried a cheap fingerprint scanner from maplin but couldn’t figure out how to get the data into max.
i’ve done a bit of research and i think one possibility is to use my arduino read the data from the capacitive sensor in the scanner rather than going through usb.
any ideas?
thanks.
k


January 21, 2008 | 2:48 am

At work they use this device hooked up to a timesheet program (scan your finger to sign in and out):

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=093

i don’t have any personal experience using it in Max, but it’s a USB device so my instinct tells me you should be able to get *some* kind of info from it using the [hi] object.

hope that helps. if you do end up trying this out, can you let us know how it goes?

/dan

Quote: mister k wrote on Sun, 20 January 2008 15:20
—————————————————-
> hey everyone.
> just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. i’m trying to build an installation which will scan a user’s fingerprint then produce sounds and visuals based on the patterns of their fingerprint.
> i tried a cheap fingerprint scanner from maplin but couldn’t figure out how to get the data into max.
> i’ve done a bit of research and i think one possibility is to use my arduino read the data from the capacitive sensor in the scanner rather than going through usb.
> any ideas?
> thanks.
> k
—————————————————-


January 21, 2008 | 8:47 am

There is also the eikon that http://upek.com/ produce that has just
come out with mac software.

Cheers

Nick

>At work they use this device hooked up to a timesheet program (scan
>your finger to sign in and out):
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=093
>
>i don’t have any personal experience using it in Max, but it’s a USB
>device so my instinct tells me you should be able to get *some* kind
>of info from it using the [hi] object.
>
>hope that helps. if you do end up trying this out, can you let us
>know how it goes?
>
>/dan
>
>Quote: mister k wrote on Sun, 20 January 2008 15:20
>—————————————————-
>> hey everyone.
>> just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. i’m trying to
>>build an installation which will scan a user’s fingerprint then
>>produce sounds and visuals based on the patterns of their
>>fingerprint.
>> i tried a cheap fingerprint scanner from maplin but couldn’t
>>figure out how to get the data into max.
>> i’ve done a bit of research and i think one possibility is to use
>>my arduino read the data from the capacitive sensor in the scanner
>>rather than going through usb.
>> any ideas?
>> thanks.
>> k
>—————————————————-
>
>



k
January 21, 2008 | 1:13 pm

yeah. i’ve seen those scanners. was thinking about buying the upek one and just returning it if it doesn’t work.
one problem though. the cheap one that i bout wouldn’t work with the hi object as it wasn’t hid compatible (i checked this out with usb probe).
i think they might do this on purpose to add some extra security to the device.
any know anything about talking to non-hid usb devices?
thanks
k


January 21, 2008 | 1:40 pm

On 21 janv. 08, at 14:13, mister k wrote:

> yeah. i’ve seen those scanners. was thinking about buying the upek
> one and just returning it if it doesn’t work.
> one problem though. the cheap one that i bout wouldn’t work with the
> hi object as it wasn’t hid compatible (i checked this out with usb
> probe).
> i think they might do this on purpose to add some extra security to
> the device.

I would guess that security reasons force them to have HID not
compatible.

ej


January 21, 2008 | 1:56 pm

There is a sdk that you maybe able to sign up for.

Cheers

Nick

>On 21 janv. 08, at 14:13, mister k wrote:
>
>>yeah. i’ve seen those scanners. was thinking about buying the upek
>>one and just returning it if it doesn’t work.
>>one problem though. the cheap one that i bout wouldn’t work with
>>the hi object as it wasn’t hid compatible (i checked this out with
>>usb probe).
>>i think they might do this on purpose to add some extra security to
>>the device.
>
>I would guess that security reasons force them to have HID not compatible.
>
>ej


January 21, 2008 | 11:06 pm

For what it’s worth…

I asked the IT guys here at my office about the fingerprint scanner they used (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=093) and according to them its an HID-compliant device.

Again… I don’t have any direct personal experience using it with Max, but figured i’d pass along the info.

/dan

Quote: mister k wrote on Mon, 21 January 2008 06:13
—————————————————-
> yeah. i’ve seen those scanners. was thinking about buying the upek one and just returning it if it doesn’t work.
> one problem though. the cheap one that i bout wouldn’t work with the hi object as it wasn’t hid compatible (i checked this out with usb probe).
> i think they might do this on purpose to add some extra security to the device.
> any know anything about talking to non-hid usb devices?
> thanks
> k
—————————————————-



k
January 22, 2008 | 1:01 am

thats great man. cheers for the help.
might check one of those out if i can find one.
wonder if the upek one is hid compatible as well,as it already comes with a mac driver.
k



k
November 28, 2008 | 2:26 pm

for all that were interested in this, i’ve pretty muck got it working.
i’m using the scanner in a sound installation that will be on display in london on monday and tuesday (1st and 2nd).

more details at http://midibounce.com


Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)