Forums > MaxMSP

first patch in max, HELP!

nit
August 28, 2008 | 4:56 pm

i’ve been exprimenting with pd for a while and just downloaded the max/msp demo yesterday (and will buy the program next month cause it is amazing!) and started messing with it.
so after a day a night and another day i came up with this generative drum patch wich brought up some questions.
please look at my patch:
you can see i set the time signature of [transport] to 16/4 wich allows me to make sequences of 16 beats a loop. but when i hook up to ableton live this causes ableton to count to 16 before it starts a new bar (offcourse). so what i want is the following: i want the time signature to stay at 4/4 but being able to make a 16 (or 32 or whatever) beat during loop. so: what i i need is something that counts to 16 or whatever and then starts over again. wich object with wich settings will do this?

and then i have another question, not related to this specific patch: in pd i can make somethin called a table wich contains steps(for notes i.e.) and and an object to read that. so i could make something that says: 1st step is 0 2nd step is 4 3rd step is 7 and so on. how can i do this in maxmsp?

nit
August 28, 2008 | 5:09 pm

sorry, i double posted this.
how can i delete one of ‘em?

August 28, 2008 | 6:39 pm

I haven’t looked at your patch, but table exists in Max, and you could use counter to iterate through the table.

I have a couple simple examples of basic sequencers available on my examples page, called "PulseSequencer" and "Multislider Iterate."

http://www.xfade.com/max/examples/

-C

August 28, 2008 | 8:08 pm

in case you want to use transport to count bars and beats so you can have it count a retrigger for any combination of bars and beats(normally for what you explained, you might leave the beat at 1 and use bars of 4, 8, 16, 32, etc. but this allows more flexibility), here’s an example:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

August 28, 2008 | 8:28 pm

sorry, i think i misunderstood what you want, but Chris Muir’s patches have the counter object which you can attach to transport to get what you need(if you still want to use transport instead of a single metro).

nit
August 29, 2008 | 3:45 pm

ok thanks for the help i think i get it (don’t have time to try). could you maybe look @ my patch and look if there are things that i could do better?(programming it so it consumes less cpu or things like that where i can learn from)

August 29, 2008 | 10:25 pm

There are lots of different ways to doing things like this so I would just keep going with what you’re doing(although, I’ll point out one easy thing: you don’t so many ezdac~s, just connect all outputs to the same ezdac~ at the bottom of your patch and they will all be mixed at the output automatically(connecting two or more signals at the same inlet is the same as adding them all together)).

I don’t have time right now to rearrange your patch in any way(other than the timing stuff I did with your transport section already) and I think you’re experimenting and coming up with your own way of controlling sample-playback and creating interfaces just fine(CPU usage for your patch on my comp is only 2% and that’s nothing to worry about). So at this point, the most helpful thing I can do is just advise that you go through the MSP tutorials(and Max tutorials) if you haven’t already, and then when you feel ready(this is how I learned the most), look through these really brilliant expert examples located here within the Max5 app folder:
Max5/examples
and for your particular sampling needs probably here:
Max5/examples/sampling
and here:
Max5/examples/sequencing-looping
and possibly even this one:
Max5/examples/interface/live-quantize.maxpat

You’ve got a good start there. Best of luck and have fun with it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)