Forums > MaxMSP

Flashserver (local) <–> Flash (live)

January 25, 2007 | 10:56 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone ever tried to run a Flash frontend live (from a webserver) then establish a connection to a Flashserver that is running on your local machine (let’s say the machine that you are using).

If that is the case, what is the IP address should I include in the connect() function in Flash?

I have tried many different settings including crossdomain.xml and Flash Security object to set security policy. Once I run Flash file off-line in a web browser, everything works great, but the same file runs from webserver does not.

Thanks in advance for your response.

lnguyen.

January 26, 2007 | 9:06 am

loc wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone ever tried to run a Flash frontend live (from a webserver) then establish a connection to a Flashserver that is running on your local machine (let’s say the machine that you are using).
>
> If that is the case, what is the IP address should I include in the connect() function in Flash?
>
> I have tried many different settings including crossdomain.xml and Flash Security object to set security policy. Once I run Flash file off-line in a web browser, everything works great, but the same file runs from webserver does not.

The security behviour in Flash seems to change with every version… the
only reliable solution I got to work with different Flash versions was
to run also a web server on the mashine where Flash is running on. The
web server serves a crossdomain.xml file simililar to the one included
with flashserver. You just have to change the line with
http://localhost/crossdomain.xml in the crossdomain.xml to the IP or
hostname of your machine with the webserver and flashserver on it. Fhash
file can be server from whereever you like.

Another solution could be to server your flash file from the same
machine you run flashserver on. But I haven’t tested this with latest
Flash versions.

hope this helps,
Olaf

January 28, 2007 | 7:28 am

Hi Olaf,

I am glad to hear from you. First of all, I would like to thank you for writing such wonderful externals for Max/MSP, including FlashServer, NetSend, NetReceive… They are awesome.

I am doing an installation for my thesis project in multimedia at CSU East Bay in California. I have been doing testing the use of your externals in my project. I will email you more detail once I do beta test sometime next month. As for now, I would like to inform you that I will be using FlashServer, Netsend and Netreceive in my research; I really like them and want to thank you for that.

Once I am able to put everything up and running, I will have your name included in the project credit because you deserve it.

Regarding to the FlashSever crossdomain. Your explanations are clear. I will try to do more test then let you know what is going on.

BTW, for more information about my thesis project, please visit http://www.SilkConnections.net I will post more details soon.

Last but not least, thank you for getting back to me very quickly.

Regards,

Lnguyen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)