Flickering single-pixel line on bottom of screen in jit.window fullscreen mode

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:52am

Flickering single-pixel line on bottom of screen in jit.window fullscreen mode

I don’t see this on my Windows development system, but someone who is running my patch on a MacBook Pro (prior to unibody), sees a flickering irregular white line along the bottom of the screen when a jit.window is in fullscreen mode.

Has anyone else come across this? They are running Leopard, not Snow Leopard.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:08am

This bug has been reported before, i am sure the guys at C74 are working on it
Emmanuel

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:54pm

Are there any workarounds (other than borrowing a Windows computer)?

This is meant for a performance later this month, and the flickering line is kind of ruining things.

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:58pm

maybe using version 5.1 or 5.0.8.

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:10pm
Jan 7, 2010 at 7:04pm

“In the meantime, you are welcome to use @border 0 @rect 0 0 width height, with ;jitter glreadback fbo and ;max hidemenubar, if that is what you want to do.”

Where does this all go? Presumably (@border 0 @rect 0 0 width height) are all attributes of the jit.window, which means the code for toggling full screen would have to change? And you have to grab width & height from jit.displays?

Where do ;jitter glreadback fbo and ;max hidemenubar go? Are these messages triggered by a bang?

So presumably instead of using the usual fullscreen pattern, you now have a (toggle) connected to (select) which in turn goes to two (triggers), each of which fires off different (border) messages to the jit.window, and hides/shows the menubar?

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:05am

Personally, I’d just use a black desktop image on a second monitor without anything else behind it. There’s only a flicker if there’s something happening behind said window.

But yes, your assumptions are otherwise correct.

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:54pm

Actually the problem occurs even with a black desktop, apparently.

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:07pm

This is odd for two reasons.

1) On Leopard we render the whole screen in 5.1.1. It’s only Snow Leopard we don’t render in the bottom pixel of the screen (solved in the forthcoming 5.1.2).

2) We aren’t rendering anything that should flicker. So even on Snow Leopard machines, it’s just whatever is behind the window.

If nothing is behind the window and there’s still flickering, and/or it’s definitely running on Leopard, this sounds like some other bizarre issue. I haven’t heard any other reports on Leopard or with flickering in the way you describe.

-Joshua

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:35am

Yep, it’s definitely an issue on Leopard. The flickering line is present both on the laptop display and on external projector. It follows the outline of the window, not of the content. I have a 16:9 videoplane letterboxed within a 4:3 window, and the flickering line is along the bottom edge of the 4:3 window.

The artist I’m working with seems to think it has some kind of relation to Expose, or to things on the screen. I’m unable to duplicate it (on Windows).

I’ve come up with the following workaround, basically doing the fullscreen stuff manually. Waiting to hear back on how it works.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Jan 23, 2010 at 4:39pm

Fixed with version 5.1.2

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:59pm

Thanks for the confirmation! Thanks for your patience, and best of luck with the performance.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.