floatout() or listout() ?

Jan 12, 2007 at 11:46pm

floatout() or listout() ?

Hi there,

I am working on an external object that is supposed to output X and Y coordinate values.
I am wondering in terms of efficiency and flexibility if it’s better to have one outlet that outputs a list of x and y values,
or have two float outlets to spit out the numbers separately. Since the object is probably gonna be polled every few milliseconds,
I am wondering if it’s faster to just have one list outlet rather than 2 float outlets.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Thank you.

- Luigi

————————————————————

THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE IS FOR THE SOLE USE OF THE INTENDED RECIPIENT AND MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION. ANY UNAUTHORIZED REVIEW, USE, DISCLOSURE OR DISTRIBUTION IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, CONTACT THE SENDER BY E-MAIL AT SUPERBIGIO@YAHOO.COM AND DESTROY ALL COPIES OF THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE. WITHOUT PREJUDICE UCC
1-207.

————————————————————

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545367

Jan 13, 2007 at 12:17pm

I’d say this depends more on how you are going to use the data after it exits your external. In general more patch cords means more memory and more cpu overhead. If you’re planning to send the coordinates as a list to other parts of your patch, output them as a list. If you’re going to put an unpack directly after your external’s output, use two separate floats.

Mattijs

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.