Folder/ file path stuff

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:23am

Folder/ file path stuff

Hi all,

I’m currently using [opendialog fold] to load some umenus with file names. What I’d like to do is split the folder into a list of all the individual file names before going to the umenus. How do I got about doing this?

Thanks!

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:06am

Anyone?

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:33am

Have a look at [folder].

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:30pm

That doesn’t seem to be doing the trick. It works fine with the [folder] going into an umenu, but with a set up like this

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

It just seems to be outputting one element of the list of files and how many files are in the folder. What I want is the whole list of files so I can split them up individually.

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:40pm

yes, because it outputs all the elements sequentially, not at once. you should rahter plug a [print] at the outlet of an object you don’t know that you want to test, not a message box, a message box will only display the last element that it has received.

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

That said, it’s slightly a bit tricky to use [folder] in the above patch, because unlike most of the max objects, the leftmost outlet – which is all the elements in requested folder output sequentially – comes out first, and the rightmost outlet – which is the actual size of the list – comes out last. In this patch you can’t set the size of [zl group] by the size of the list, because it so happens that if you change the size of the [zl group] it empties its content, and as the size information would come to him after the elements od the list (leftmost outlet), it would be emptied of its content.

Jul 20, 2013 at 1:31am

Yeah using message boxes is a habit I’ve formed which I should get out of.

Thanks though that actually work exactly how I want.

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:27pm

glad to help :)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.