forum email troubles

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:00pm

forum email troubles

This is a crappy post I know, but with complete lack of response from Cycling74 support after a week and a couple of emails thought I’d see if anyone else having the same issue.

Basically I’m not getting emailed when my favourited threads on the forum are added to, though my email seems fine for everything else. I had been receiving emails for the last year or more and my settings are as they should be, I just stopped getting the emails a couple of weeks ago. Tried turning the emailing tick box off and saving and on again and saving to no avail. Any one else? And do people normally get a response from the support emails (tried normal one AND website one)? I haven’t had to use them before.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:01am

I’m not getting any forum notification mails either.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:12pm

Same here; I’m using an rss feed for my favourites, not ideal.

Brendan

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:37pm

Ha this sucks! Support are not getting back to me, I tried changing my email address to another one just to test it out and it always seems to go back to the same old one. Anybody from Cycling74 listening?

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:23pm

It has always been like that, since the forum started. I preferred the old mailing lists. I use the RSS feeds, but they fail often. around Christmas for example they didn’t work.
The way the Live forum is dealing with it, isn’t good either. You get a notification mail, but instead to deliver the post, you need Internet access to read it in the forum.
Something in between would be nice, a notification which contains the topic in the subject and the post body. Then I could still read everything off line. I don’t mind, if I need to be on line to post…

Stefan

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:46pm

Yeah, I’m using the RSS feed now which keeps me happy, but when you say ‘it has always been like that’ what do you mean? I was getting the notification emails and then a couple of weeks ago they just suddenly stopped coming.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:32pm

Hi Luke,

I’m sorry that we haven’t responded promptly to your support request. I don’t have anything from you in my inbox – don’t know what could have happened to it.

Email “deliverability” is a difficult thing to manage and measure. Certain email providers seem to have a real hate on for emails that originate from cycling74.com. I have found that hotmail is particularly bad in this respect.

I’m looking into ways to improve the reliability of our server’s outgoing mail. In the meantime, thanks for your patience.

Ben

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:20am

Thanks for the reply Ben, the RSS feed does what I want for now so not to worry. My email doesn’t have any filters (it’s attached to my website) so that shouldn’t be a problem and it worked until a couple of weeks ago. My email seems to be working in all other respects so not sure why you didn’t receive my message, but I have a workaround so I’m happy to leave it. The fact that I couldn’t change the email address in my forum profile hints that there is something up somewhere, but again, I don’t actually want to change it at the minute so not a problem.

Luke

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:06am

Hi again – just wanted to let you know that we’ve implemented some changes that ought to help with the email deliverability problems. Let us know if you notice anything different!

Ben

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:17am

yup!

the difference i noticed is that it seems to work again :)

thanks ben!

Jan 26, 2011 at 8:31pm

Yep, getting the emails now thanks. Though the RSS feed stopped coming into Mac mail at exactly the time the emails started coming in. Perhaps its because of something intuitive I don’t know about??!

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:04pm

Wah! Ignore that they’ve all just popped up!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.