Forums > Misc

Forum login request

February 25, 2011 | 7:50 am

Any chance the ‘remember me’ checkbox could be put above the login button as I always forget to click it. Also, what’s the chances of maybe increasing the duration I’m remembered for as I always seem to be logging on even after I’ve chosen to be remembered – I don’t like being forgotten :’(

DiGiTaLFX

pid
February 25, 2011 | 9:27 am

+ 1. also, for those of us that despise ‘gravatars’, could you PLEASE stop reminding us after every damn post that we do not have one?…

February 25, 2011 | 9:46 am

+ 2

February 25, 2011 | 5:11 pm

Thanks for your feedback guys. I’d be curious to hear more about your hatred of Gravatars!

February 25, 2011 | 5:58 pm

+1000 I’m just sick of the popup. If it’s that important put it in a frame or in little font across the header, but the popup is INFURIATING!

pid
February 26, 2011 | 12:16 pm

@ben, gravatars are like dancing. everybody dancing simply cannot conceive just how and why some people are not dancing. they try and force them to dance, but the people not dancing are so diametrically opposed to the very concept of dancing at that particular moment in time that they refuse, and the dancers end up dancing away convinced the non-dancers are ‘really weird head cases’ for not wanting to dance, in a nauseating and sanctimonious way. sick of this, some poor non-dancers decide to join in eventually. like your belligerent gravatar reminding policy finally getting to cap10subtext. poor cap10. the worst sort of offensive dancing for this is actually folk-like vernacular dancing, where ‘everybody is supposed to know the moves’ and ‘it is old style and fun, cmon’. this happens at those awful social events of weddings and the like. of course one day the non-dancers write utterly ridiculous OT posts to forums in a way that (ironically?) is just as sanctimonious and annoying as the dancers of which they are complaining. all this boils down to very simple psychology 101. as someone once said, "there are two kinds of people in this world: them that dig, and them that don’t".

March 1, 2011 | 12:42 am

@pid: I don’t think you’re weird at all. Well, perhaps a little unusual, but in a good way.

I agree that the gravatar-nagging could be done in a less annoying way, and probably almost as effectively. We definitely don’t want to make anyone annoyed. But we do want this forum community to be as lively and personal as we can make it. We’ll keep working on it.

Ben

PS. If I was really annoyed by the popup nag I would make a screengrab of the default blank bust and make that my gravatar! :) Or perhaps I’m missing the point?

March 1, 2011 | 12:57 am

Okay, the gravatarless will now only receive a nag occasionally. Rejoice! Revel in your facelessness non-conformers!

pid
March 1, 2011 | 2:19 pm

"…and them that watch" it should have been of course. serves me right for attempting to quote shit on forums.

ben, thanks, i suppose this is a political if not philosophical ‘victory’ for us unsocial bastards.

re: screengrab to gravatar – yes, of course i had thought of that, but that would defeat the purposefulness of my obections and ultimately admit defeat.

@DiGiTaLFX: sorry for hijacking your thread in general. it was ‘for the cause’ though…

March 6, 2011 | 12:09 pm

Popups? What popups? I didn’t never see no popups.

I don’t particularly care for the Gravatar thing because I prefer, in general, to present myself differently in different fora. I used a different pic for Facebook from the one I use for ReverbNation, MySpace was different again, and so is C74. Luckily, this is the only system I subscribe to that uses Gravatar, so I can present myself in a uniquely Max-like (actually, Jitter-like, specifically Litter-Bundle-for-Jitter-like) manner.

But while we’re on the subject of requests… any chance of filtering out messages from unwanted fellow users? (Ben’s been around long enough to know what I mean by a killfile.)

There are times when I am quite happy to help clueless noobs, but there are other periods when the mindboggling cluelessness starts to grate. On such days I am not one to suffer fools gladly and the list as a whole would be a happier, more peaceful place if I could remain blissfully unaware of the new and uncharted, abysmal levels of cluelessness that have been achieved by the upcoming generation of Maxer wannabes.

March 6, 2011 | 3:58 pm

May be I just didn’t notice, but there’s also no popup here.

Update:
Well, right after posting this..the popup from gravatar shows up :(

pid
March 6, 2011 | 6:50 pm

it seems folks haven’t picked up the point. if you HAVE a gravatar, there is NO reminder. if you do NOT have a gravatar, there is an annoying pop up after every post.

ben claimed above that he has made this so it is not so often any more, but that is STILL not the case for me. every goddamn post i make, "the computer say gravatar". in just a moment, i will click on ‘Send Post’ button, and an annoying reminder will dim my screen, tell me that i am a worthless member of the cyber community for not having a gravatar, and expect me to manually dismiss it before i can move on with my life.

see you on the other side…

March 6, 2011 | 8:05 pm

@crystalmsc : you have a gravatar and you saw the popup ?

@pid : the popup should show up approximately every 7th time you post. it’s dependent on cookies being able to be set in your browser.

@peter : consider your request heard. kill file will be considered.

March 6, 2011 | 8:46 pm

@pid: I have a Gravatar *now*, but I didn’t until quite recently and never had popups. That might have something to do with Firefox, though.

@Ben: I appreciate it.

March 6, 2011 | 9:09 pm

they started to annoy us with that gravatar propaganda because there
were dozens of threads of "HELPP???!!?? HOW DO I ICON MAKE??? here
before the friendly reminder was there.

i think it is free of hassle and risk and beeing reminded of it will hopefully
make more people get one.

i will change my opinion when gravatar will get bought by google or bertelsmann.

March 6, 2011 | 11:09 pm

while we’re here

quotes would be nice

as well as a private message function

and restore all the blank posts

i’ll think of more

March 7, 2011 | 1:51 am

@Ben: I didn’t have an avatar when it’s popup. But after installing it, didn’t see any popup now.

March 7, 2011 | 5:49 pm

@Roman: Gravatar was bought by Automattic, who run WordPress. Still, not quite are monolithic as the guys from Gütersloh.

March 7, 2011 | 11:35 pm

ability for users to delete duplicate topics (happens often, and i have at least one set)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)