fpic should not stop you unlocking a floating window

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:24am

fpic should not stop you unlocking a floating window

you can’t unlock a patch if it is floating and has an fpic over the whole background. A right click on the patch will not open the patch as it is clicking on an object, the fpic (an fpic that covers the whole background) this is consistent with the other objects in max but as the fpic is just an image with no interactivity then doesn’t it make sense to make it ‘invisible to clicks’. this is the same with the panel object.

Best

Tim

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:19am

Cmd-E (or selecting Edit from the View menu) should still work. Ditto for the lock icon at the bottom of the window.

Ctrl-E if you’re on Windows.

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:32am

Yes this would be fine but i am designing a gui and the window is floating, has no close buttons, and no bottom toolbar. So there is no other solution?

In general what is the point of not being able to unlock when your mouse is over a panel of fpic? They are toally static.

Best,

Tim

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:24pm
div wrote on Mon, 01 June 2009 06:32
Yes this would be fine but i am designing a gui and the window is floating, has no close buttons, and no bottom toolbar. So there is no other solution?

In general what is the point of not being able to unlock when your mouse is over a panel or fpic? They are totally static.

One nice feature about this is that you can have panels appear over other GUI elements, possibly with some transparency, which can then block interactivity with the objects below. This is useful if you have a set of controls which can be deactivated, but you still want them seen (a white panel with alpha about 50% will give the “grayed-out” look), and you’re only sending one ignoreclick message.

It is a bit strange, true, but I’m guessing that having the Ignore Click message to these objects just keeps them consistent with everything else. Even regular box objects can have this set, and if it’s not, you can’t right-click for Edit Mode on them either. Just set ignoreclick to 1 for the fpic or panels and freeze the attribute.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:11pm

Attached is an example of a window style and fpic that doesn’t allow you to unlock it.

So in the case where you use an fpic to cover the whole background of the patcher (not so uncommon) and the window is floating then there is no way to unlock it.

Is there anyway around it?

Best,

Tim

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:28pm

so are you refusing to try command-E or did it not work?

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:50pm

It doesn’t work on floating window as far as I know, because the floating windows don’t receive shortcuts.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:15pm

i see, i see.

well, what about creating a key control on your own
in palette windows which are still in development?

[110.keytoggle] and [110.thispalette] should do the trick.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:07pm
div wrote on Mon, 01 June 2009 08:11
So in the case where you use an fpic to cover the whole background of the patcher (not so uncommon) and the window is floating then there is no way to unlock it.

fpic with @ignoreclick 1 works here—allows you to right-click into Edit mode, XP, 5.0.7

Jun 1, 2009 at 10:44pm

right on!

Thanks guys… ignore click!!!! i don’t know why i didn’t try it.

Tim

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.